haumana

Tough toss up ... which would you choose?

So my "old" (4-1/2 year old) laptop, which is what I use for cutting, is starting to do its own little thing. It'll corrupt drivers here and there, give me the blue screen of death every once in a while. I know all of this can be resolved with a simple scrub and reformat.

So here's the real question: If you were in my position, would you get a new laptop or buy a heat press? I would like to do mugs/cups and/or shirts. 'cause those stainless steel water bottles that FF did are the bomb!

Mind you, I don't do any of this kind of stuff for a living or even as a profitable hobby. It would just be for me to do stuff here and there  :thumbsup:

C'mon people .... Share your thoughts!

Mahalo for your time and mana'o.   :thumbsup:

well if it was me, i would get the t shirt press, make a little change and u will hobby or not.

then buy a nice new laptop later. just clean up the one u have.

I agree with Nona.

Do the scrub on the old laptop and keep using it.

(sometimes just poping the memory out and re-seating it will fix the blue screen)

Buy a heat press.

Definitely the heat press. It will bring a lot of opportunities to turn this hobby into more business than you can handle. Especially living in HI, I would imagine you could capitalize on the souvenir market? Then of course upgrade your laptop  :thumbsup:

I have to be honest...the heat press kinda changed my business for the better.  It benefited both my art and my rc venues.  I would, however recommend getting a brand name press.  One press and it was Cool-Aide smile ALL day.

Guest fivestar

Yeah when I got my cutter and heat press it wasn't for business per say.  It was an addition to the wife's flower shop.  Well after about 6 months, I started my own business with them and have been so busy since then I could actually hire someone.  Once word gets out and people see your work, look out. 

I'd format the lappy and get myself a heat press, but as Charlie stated, definitely buy a brand name.

Buy the heat press... with the money you make from/with it, you can buy the new laptop, and me one too!@

I bought a cutter mainly just to make some sponsor stickers for my sons race quad. Ive already paid for that machine with extra work. I bought a heat press  just to make his race jerseys. About 2 weeks ago and friend of mine heard i could do shirts and wants me to make him 150 shirts for his offroad poker run, which will more than pay for my heat press. Buy the heat press!!!!!

As someone that is in the computer repair business as a first profession I would recommend making sure the computer is fine first.  If it is randomly corrupting drivers and other system files it actually suggests a hard drive issue.  4 1/2 years is actually longer than the average lifespan for a laptop (professional opinion only, I'm not citing any real figure).  I would be worried about it at least a little if it is having hardware issues. 

As far as the signmaking business goes the heat press is obviously going to put more money in your pocket now, but I would consider putting some of that first money you make into a new computer as well. 

Just my $.02

so huamana, what's the verdict sweetie. lol although from a woman's perspective and being that ur so smart and witty, i already know the answer. ur a smart woman, but just for the sake of curiosity, u laid it on the table. hehe

good luck on whatever ur decision maybe, but i wanna know girl. lol

so huamana, what's the verdict sweetie. lol although from a woman's perspective and being that ur so smart and witty, i already know the answer. ur a

Yeah... she probably bought a pair of shoes instead!!!  :o

so huamana, what's the verdict sweetie. lol although from a woman's perspective and being that ur so smart and witty, i already know the answer. ur a

Yeah... she probably bought a pair of shoes instead!!!  :o

Those would be "ass kicking boots" thank you very much  :D

Just kidding. I didn't buy the laptop (sigh). I found the driver that was causing the blue screen of death and now it's playing nicely. I bet it's because it knew that I was going to kick it to the curb  ;D

I'm still thinking about a heat press of some sort, but I don't know if I would go for a shirt or one that can to mugs/cups. I really, really like the stainless ones that FF made.

I'll probably end up directing the funds to throwing my step-mom a kick-ass birthday party (she's been throwing hints to her co-workers that she'd like a big production  ;))

Hmm .. maybe a mug/cup heat press, and I can make the party favor mugs for her birthday party!!!! YEAH!!!

So what would I need to get that started?? A new printer, mug heat press, printable media, etc... How much would it costs to get started with something like that? Anybody recommend any brands of stuff??

Haumana how did you find which driver was giving the problem? I hard a hard drive crash on my PC and replaced it but every once in a while I get that blue screen too. I reboot and it plays nice for a while and then does it again a few days/weeks later. Is there a way to see what is causing it?

As for heat presses you will prob have more orders for shirts/flats. It really is a money maker, better than my embroidery machine. I like those chrome mugs too though and thinking that will be my next investment. Although I've never had anyone ask for them I think the dance studios might like them w their logos. As for what you need, I went to a trade show a month ago and picked up info I'll have to find it for you. I believe they said you need a ink/laser? printer, the cutter that has an optical eye to read the registrations marks, sublimation paper, and the heat press that puts the design on. They can be heat cured in the oven. My memory may be off but that is the gist of it, I'm sure someone on the forum can fill in the blanks.

Haumana,

Get the t-shirt press.  Here is why.

You have the cutter already, so if you want to make stainless mugs like FF, cut'em out of vinyl.

Work the press and make some shirts.  That way, when you need the little extra $$ for your next purchase (printer, b-day party, killer boots, etc) you can sell some shirts to the local sports teams / school / business / tourist / what ever.

Just my 2 cents....wait, I need them.....oh well you can have them.

My heat press is running me into the ground.

I'm addicted to making TShirts now.  LOL.  Usually for no-money.

Between the shirts I make myself and all the shirts I give away.....I'm going broke from clothing.

And now that I've discovered bamboo tshirts from www.onnotextiles.com I'm going broke even faster.  They're expensive, but nothing feels better!  Good for the enviroment too.

Haumana how did you find which driver was giving the problem? I hard a hard drive crash on my PC and replaced it but every once in a while I get that blue screen too. I reboot and it plays nice for a while and then does it again a few days/weeks later. Is there a way to see what is causing it?

The blue screen of death was easy to track down for me ... it would occur each time I attempted to turn on the wireless. In your case, you might just need to pull one device at a time to see which is crashing it. I'll admit that mine was a "gimme" and if it wasn't that easy I would've totally started from scratch and probably pissed and moaned the entire time I was doing it. Hahahaha.

Haumana,

Get the t-shirt press.  Here is why.

You have the cutter already, so if you want to make stainless mugs like FF, cut'em out of vinyl.

Work the press and make some shirts.  That way, when you need the little extra $$ for your next purchase (printer, b-day party, killer boots, etc) you can sell some shirts to the local sports teams / school / business / tourist / what ever.

Just my 2 cents....wait, I need them.....oh well you can have them.

I've thought about cutting vinyl to put on cups and mugs, but I just know that my friends and family would peel it off the first chance they get. But I guess that would be better than them donating it to the Salvation Army.

My heat press is running me into the ground.

I'm addicted to making TShirts now.  LOL.  Usually for no-money.

Between the shirts I make myself and all the shirts I give away.....I'm going broke from clothing.

And now that I've discovered bamboo tshirts from www.onnotextiles.com I'm going broke even faster.  They're expensive, but nothing feels better!  Good for the enviroment too.

Thanks for the link. Those items are awesome. Like you, I do a LOT of stuff for no-money. If I can get someone to pay for the cost of the vinyl than I'm happy.

I spent the money on the Cirque du Solseil Saltimbanco show that's coming into town. Decided to take a few people as an early christmas present.

No mug press, no heat press, no laptop ... but that's worth the trade of great entertainment and great company.