sdgirl

Help with editing please

I have a customer who has drawn this building he wants as his logo on all his trucks/equipment. I have been editing the nodes for 6 hours or more on it and just can't get them all or the lines straight. I was wondering if I could get some help with it or find out an easier/faster way to do this. He also wants the building to be 2 solid colors how so I do this just print the whole thing 2 in the colors I want it?

Thank you in advance.

Christi

UNTITLED.SBD

UNTITLED.SBD

This one may be easier to re-create than to clean up.

I would do a File + Open then click the radio button on the right that says "Open as Background" then click OK. This way the existing drawing isn't selectable. Set your color to Black.

Then I would create a Polyline around the entire outside. To close the shape right click and select Close.  (if you right click while in Polyline you can change between corner and curve type nodes.)

Click Select (to exit out of Polyline.) Select the black shape you just created and Arrange + Move to Back.

Change your color to white and select Polyline again.

Create one of the white shapes the smae as the first black one. repeat for the rest of the white shapes. (You may be able to duplicate some of them to save time.)

When you have all of the white shapes done select all and Arrange + combine.

That is all there is to it. If you can't do it let me know. I may have time later this afternoon.

Okay Jay I will give this a try. I have never done anything like this but I will try and follow your directions. Thank you!

Christi

okay I am at the part where I am suppose to put polyline around the white shape but it looks like I only have one and all I see is the select box so am I suppose to put a polyline around that? Then what?

Thank you,

Christi

Save what you have and post it back here. Let me take a look.

Okay, here it is. I am at the part where I changed the color from black to white and put the polyline around it. I hope I did it all right.

Thank you so much Jay!

Christi

UNTITLED1.SBD

UNTITLED1.SBD

Not sure what happened but it liooked like 2 rectangles with only 4 or 5 nodes each. I didn't see the black shape there at all. The black should be a close outline of the entire thing.

UNTITLED2.SBD

I think when i clicked on white it turned the black one white?

I think when i clicked on white it turned the black one white?

If you do an Edit + Select None or click out in a blank area of the desktop it will Un-select everything.

When you are creating nodes, I like to use a few as possible to get the shape to conform to your image. Remember to right click to change the type of nodes.

Corner on sharp corners

Curve along curved areas

Close to join and close a shape.

If you don't click on select between creating polylines the shapes will be joined.

I got yours pulled up and I think I know what you mean now. I don't know how you got yours so straight though.

Thank you,

Christi

A straight line is between two corner nodes (Squares). If you go into Node Edit on the shapes that I created you will see how the nodes are placed. See how few nodes I used to create the black.

post-1657-12986525963079_thumb.jpg

I understand now. I am working on it. Thank you for all your help.

Christi

Okay I got all the black covered in white now what do I do?

thanks.

Make sure you still have the separation that represents the ribs and outline of the building. You can delete the original image or I use the Nudge command to move it out of the way. (Left or Right arrow keys and set the distance in "Nudge" in the lower right corner of the screen) Then select everything and do a Arrange + Combine. The white elements will then become cutouts in the black shape behind. Then you are done. You could also leave them seperate and just cut both the black and white elements at the same time. Good luck!

okay when I nudge the old one away will that let me edit the nodes on the new one if I didn't get them straight? I should have asked all this before I spent 6 hours editing nodes before. You are a life savor Jay!

Christi

That is why I like Nudge. You can move it out of the way and then move it back to the exact same location if you need to.

Sometimes it's easier to start from scratch instead of trying to fix what you have.

Okay so I moved the old one out of the way and selected the one I did the white in. I hit node edit and it just has the lines and nodes from the outside of the building but I still had the black lines seperating it so what did I do? Sorry I am such a pain.

Christi

Sorry iot took so long. Had to commute home from work. That looks great. One thing though you have to make sure that you white stays inside of the black and the lines don't cross. Fix the couple of places where the lines cross then move your original image out of the way. Click on Select and drag a box around all of the stuff you just created. Then select Arrange + Combine. If you did everything right your image shouldn't look any different. But it is all one object. When you click on node edit after combining you should see all of the nodes.

UNTITLED3.SBD