sixpin664

Noob - Which application tape and vinyl?

I just ordered a 24" PCUT after doing over a month of research using these forums and other sites. Now that I have ordered it, I was going to order the application tape and vinyl. I notice that there are 3 types of application tape. Which one is best suited if I plan to begin with only car, window, and laptop decals?

As far as vinyl, I believe I have read that Avery brand vinyl is highly regarded in that category. Does the vinyl that sell on uscutter.com compare?

This is my first cutter so I am a total noob. Although I have have reading these forums for well over a month, I know I will still need some help so if you have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-Kevin

I alway use Oracal vinyl. I tried Avery too, but I just liked Oracal better. I use 651 for all my decals, 751 for any vehicle logos for business.

As far as app tape, I use MainTape for wet applications, and then the Clear Choice for dry applications. Clear tape doesn't work for wet applications, so it just depends on what your using it for. But I use the clear tape for any decals I give to people.

Just read alot of the past posts and you'll find alot of helpful information.

Amber

... I notice that there are 3 types of application tape....

-Kevin

What's the third? I thought there was just paper and clear.  :thumbsup:

I've never used the clear stuff ... My cutter is just for fun and hobby purposes, so I will never need to go through that much app tape in a reasonable amount of time. When in doubt, go paper. You can at least do wet applications with it.

The Arlon series 5000 vinyl is good vinyl also, Have had very good luck with weeding small lettering and decals, Very new to the field myself, and found that clear tape for wet applications is a mess and really can screw things up. But the tape from Main works very nice for single color applications, but you may need clear tapes for multi colored layed items when you want to see the different colors as you apply the layers

We've used Main tape...on multi colored app, including the plexi we are working on....it can be done.

Guest sciondrgn

I started with Avery and switched to Oracal 651.. Love the stuff

I use the EnduraMask app tape and love it.. I keep a small roll of clear for small decals but paper tape is the primary

I use Oracal 651(mainly) vinyl, and R-Tape Conform(paper) app tape.

It's a good baseline product to start out with... and fair on the wallet too.

What I did was bought a 6.5" roll of clear tape. PERFECT for decals if you are selling them or giving them out...Especially if someone other than you is applying them (easier to line up). Then I bought a 15" roll of paper tape for wet applications, because thats when I'd need wet app, when doing large windows, etc...

Thats just my logic. As far as vinyl, I've only used Oracal it's only a few bucks more and it's okay...Avery has a good rep in the pressure sensitive world, but I cannot speak for their vinyl.