Sign in to follow this  
crazyone

Cutter Location?

Ok I must be over analyzing this.  The cutting pen on my MG1351 is a tad confusing (that or the directions are)  I have two locations that I can put the pen in, the one furthest from the carraige would be for the pen (i assume as its no where near the cutting strip)  but the length of the cutter seems awefully tight to get into the rear location over the cutting strip.  Now assuming it goes in the rear location, is there a height adjustment for the carriage itself?  It also doesn't appear as though I will cut on the cutting strip even in the rear location. 

Any help?

Thanks

Brandon

Ok so there is no way that I can see this cutter is going to work where its at, can someone please take a picture of their cutter  with  the blade installed.  I powered this on and it grinds when it it hits the end of its travel on the right side.  If you put it into Off-Line and try to go left it grinds and eventually grabs and goes. But upon powerup it always resets to the right side.  I would have assumed there was a limit switch on these things to prevent it from going tooo far. 

I hope this is an easy fix, anyone?

Thanks

Brandon Wolf

Ok Figured out the cutter head, it sits on TOP of the carriage assembly, with the the raised edge on there, I would have assumed it went in between the V, vs on top.  The only other issue I have is the grinding when it parks.  ANyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Brandon

PS this thing appears to be NICE!!

You might check and make sure the rollers are in the track on the cutting head.I've heard of them slipping out of the tracks in shipment.Other than that,I can't think of anything else it might be.

Billy,

Looking at it closer you were 100% right!  Luckily they are spring loaded and easily reset back in the track.  This also cured the grinding sound (not sure they are related but it cuts great now, and appears to be using the cutting pad vs the outfeed.

I love this cutter already, I cut about 5 signs (pretty small and dumb,  Brandon Rules, Keep out of my F'in place, ect)  Thanks a ton for answer!  This should make the FAQ =)  that and the cutter position as it relates to where it is actually installed into the carriage.  With the bevel I woulda thought it went into the slot that it fits, but it does reside above the carriage. I am  a bit surprised they don't use a bit shorter cutter assembly and install it in teh carriage so that it pinned in there. 

Thanks alot!!

Brandon

I'm glad you got it going.I'm sure you will spend many sleepless nights playing with it.You ought to try getting a 1985 hewlet packard pen to work.It's too small to sit on top of the holder,and if you put it inside the grooves,it's pressing on the paper.I had to take a pair of wire cutters and cut the ridge off just to make it work.I'm buying myself a dremmel tool for christmas.I've got about 35 of those pens.

HAHAH, well I got a nice HP plotter I use with cad for drawing cabinets that has 5 pens, so I doubt I will ever use this for plotting, BUT i am working on plans for my new house soo it might be cool to use this for a 'full sized' copy!  Its already 12:30 here and i've ripped through most of my signage I bought this for.  The local vinyl places wanted over $500 to cut and apply the vinyl on my store windows, Including installation and assembly I have already cut all teh signage for my store, and only have about $100 extra in it all.  I am going to cut some signs for my trucks later on tomorrow, and should be ahead of the game after that! 

My next step is to figure out how to change the increments in Artcut to inches!  I wasted a few feet of vinyl finding the absolute limits from the software to teh cutter.

I think I am going to cut some stencils tomorrow to do my Cornhole game

Brandon

If you ever need any 1985 pens for that plotter,I've got a few!You've hit on the nicest things about these cutters.They are at a price that makes it possible to do your own sign work for your business at about the cost you would pay a sign shop.And,in turn,it gives a whole new avenue to your existing business.Diversification.Tha's the way to do business these days.I use flexi,so I don't have that problem with the metrics.I posted a conversion chart somewhere in the forum.And I think Marcel has posted a link to a chart somewhere in the forum.Maybe that would help.Just print it out and put it on the wall so you have access to it.

Your absolutly right, when I went to justify the expense of the cutter, I simply looked at my reciepts of my old signage, it was very easy to justify!  Hopefully I will be able to get up to your abilities, the ones you got in the pics are awesome!  THey look very time consuming as well!    I think I might print some flames and flame my mower this weekend HAH!  I actually need to order some more pens, mine are all getting dried out.  I'll keep ya in mind when I replace some.

Brandon

You'll be there in no time.I had never used a plotter or cutter until I got mine around four months ago.And some of the work did take a lot of time to set up and cut or plot.There were a lot of times I would still be working with R2 when my wife woke up in the morning.I think she stopped asking me if I ever went to bed three after three nights of my work.You should get some diamond plate vinyl,and some translucent red and flame your mower in diamond plate.You would probably be selling your work to all of your neighbors!

Thank you Billy for pointing out the resolution to the grinding sound. I have had a few customers recently call with this problem which sounds really bad, but is an easy fix. As suggested by crazyone I did add that topic to the FAQ for future reference.

I knew I had read your post on the problem somewhere in the forum.I'm glad the problem is fixed.And that you have put it in the f.a.q. .That will help people out a lot.I can't imagine how those rollers jump track with the way they are so carefully handled by the shipping companies.

LOL, you are right about the shipping. We've had to ask them to be a little gentler with the plotters, especially the 50 inch unit just when loading them in the truck here while we are present. I can imagine in the distribution center where there are no customers they are probably even rougher with the boxes. Ironically when we've had problems with hardware it is usually on the much heavier 50 inch units.