Sign in to follow this  
RegisG

Dry or a bucket of water

Just did 3 signs 18" X 96" (largerst so far) with 12" X 16" letters.  1st one I did dry application and will never get ALL the tiney bubbles out.  Then (thanks to BannerJohn's clarifications) did next 2 wet. 

If anybody sees me ask a question about dry applications-----please through bucket of water at me to wake me up!  Never never never again will I do apply dry....  Quoting BannerJohn: "newbies should ALWAYS apply wet.

The signs say "CAR WASH" so that was even more of a hint to me.

This sure is a great site!

Guest TracMatt

Regis (the man  :thumbsup:) sorry I couldn't resist after my last fiasco with the name thing LOL, can you please explain how you do a wet application to someone that has never done one before?  Can you do this on windows also?  I get a lot of bubbles on my window decals.

Thanks,

Tracee

LOL been there! They should bake out in a few weeks it will be ok. You are here to type about it and not stuck to the sign board so it was a job well done !! :thumbsup::huh:

I think whatever is the easiest and gets the best results for someone is the way to go.  For me, I prefer applying wet.

To apply wet, you just need a wetting solution.  Some use just water and some use a mixture (water, rubbing alcohol, and a few drops of soap - which is what I prefer using).  Just like applying dry, clean the surface you are applying to.  Then wet down the area with the solution.  Peel of the backing of your vinyl and wet the adhesive part of the vinyl as well.  Then apply (the great part is the time you have to position before it adheres.  If it begins to start sticking before you finish positioning, just remove, wet, and lay it back down again.)  Once you have it positioned just right, start squeegeeing really good.  After a few minutes (if a warm day) it should start adhering.  Then wet the application tape and let sit for a couple minutes (to loosen up the tape).  Then the tape should come off really easy (paper tape is needed).

I apply wet to windows, cars, and sign material (if large enough that I want some flexibility in laying it out).  I'm doing my first banner now...and will do it wet also.

Tracy,

There are some video links here that show more professionally but, here is what I do.   Spray "throughly" with Rapid Tac then simply peal the backing off and position...ya can even move it!   Then squeege to apply...getting all the water out.   Lot of folks here use a formula rather then rapid tac  (something like 75% water, 25% rubbing alcohol, and a couple drops of soap).

What bannerjohn found that I was doing wrong was that I was leaving some small dry spots on the substraight.   Once I rubbed the water around on the substraight, all worked fine

a life lesson:

when I was young I went for a job...the guy asked me if I had the choice,would I do something the easy way or the hard way. Trick question,I thought. Did he want some hard worker who would do it the hard way?

I said 'easy way'.

I got the job. He told me that he didn't want someone working for him who was dumb enough to prefer doing things the hard way.

I have for 45 years,always done things the easy way.

Guest TracMatt

Thanks for explaining.  I'm really thinking about putting some strips on my truck.  It is completely black with no break at all.  I'm nervous and I got to get myself together before attempting it.

I have a lot of videos to watch and research to do.

Thanks again,

I think Ill take the easy way too.

Tracee

haha... well Im a dry kind of guy.. theres only a few things

i use wet for.. IF you should ellect to go dry applying be

sure to use a high amount of pressure to get the bubbles

out from under the vinyl THE FIRST TIME.. be careful with

this as it may cause the vinyl to stretch in some cases. Always

use your best judgement as to what technique to use.

REMEMBER, pressure down goes down, not pressure at an angle..

Also, another good tip is to try to get your graphic down

in ONE swipe.. fewer the better.

I've never done or seen a dry app that didn't have a bubble or two (or dozens) so I don't see any sense in taking the chance. I can do wet as fast (or faster) than dry with no bubbles every time. As I said...why take the chance? Once it's done, you can't go back. I guess it's all in experience..and my 1000+ banners & coroplast in the past 2 years isn't enough experience. But I will repeat: WET FOR BEGINNERS!

I agree with John... beginners go WET!

Yeah I don't know HOW I can make dry work so well for

me but I do... haha.. strange twist of fate I presume?

So John, How much pressure do you use when applying

the wet graphics? I would take it to be very little or same?

however much it takes to get the fluid out. It depends entirely on the substrate,really. Nice and smooth,very little. Rough...quite a bit.

I use glossy banners,and I can remove the tape within 2 minutes usually...sometimes immediately.

Glass,coroplast..I just let it dry for about 10 minutes. Glass is never really clean enough and coroplast has those damn ridges. They like to harbor the fluid. But a tennis ball will speed things up.

a life lesson:

when I was young I went for a job...the guy asked me if I had the choice,would I do something the easy way or the hard way. Trick question,I thought. Did he want some hard worker who would do it the hard way?

I said 'easy way'.

I got the job. He told me that he didn't want someone working for him who was dumb enough to prefer doing things the hard way.

I have for 45 years,always done things the easy way.

See ... now my skeptical nature would have assumed that it was a trick question then I would've answered, "I like to do things the right way."

That would be the a/r in me ;D