Guest Schramm

Selling designs to decorative painters...

I haven't read all of the post yet, but just wanted to personally

Thank You.

It is people like you, who are willing to give their time and ideas that

really inspire to keep this vinyl stuff fresh and exciting. 

Post On!

Now in this project are we not only creating the design stencils but painting as well?

I like the idea of some test painting so that I get a feel for how the vinyl/stencil applies and removes.  But, I don't plan on trying to take the place of decorative painters or even compete with them.   I know the value of experience.   Designing and cutting vinyl/stencil is where I want to focus and service those with paint skill/knowledge.   Sooo, I looking forward to anything that help me provide better service to them.

AND, Thank you for your time & teaching!

Regis

I have the image cut and weeded will be painting it tonight!

Guest Schramm

Regis,

I dont expect anyone to stop what you are doing and go into decorative painting.  By having you do these little things, I am only giving you an idea of not only what decorative painters want but what they do with them.  By having this understanding, you are opening yourself to a new market to sell to.  To be honest with you 70% of the faux finishers out there have about as much as experience as you do at what they do.  Many people love the look of decorative painting and think hey I can take a 5 day class and start my own business.  I know 2 guys that left a job on Wall Street with no experience and are now huge and I know others that keep spending 10's of 1000s of dollars and will never be good!  I am not expecting anyone to do anything but learn.  I will tell you, when I get done you will look at your plotter as a really cool tool that has an amazing ability to make people happy!  Wait til you do your first piece of furniture or wall for a family member, you will be a hit!

Have fun and cut something already!!!

Hey Schramm, I bought the Dover books at Barnes and Noble earlier this year, and all of them had the disc, the complete book vectorized, and they were moving to their new store, had two racks of Dover, and some other design books 2 for $5.00. Some of the other books were really a lot better than the Dover's, but their images weren't in eps. format. So, run down to your local Barnes and Noble, and grab a couple of books.

Couple more generic questions... Do you use application tape the same as for sign vinyl?   I'm guessing that you always apply dry (as opposed to wet application where you can reposition).   The Oracal 810 that I bought streeches out of shape when I lift it to try to straighten.  I'll have to try some of the vinyl you mentioned earlier.   For wall border do you apply 2-3 feet at a time or layout a longer lenght?

Thanks again for teaching.

Regis

OK, Mike again, If ya'll go looking for the books and disc, it states inside the front cover what formats are on the disc. You want an eps. format, that is pretty much cutter ready, some books/disc are in eps., some aren't. Can I post a design for ya'll to work on too?

This sounds like a great opportunity for everyone. I would love to be a part of it.

Guest Schramm

knucklehead,

I am going down there tonight.  The books are in .eps but I still need to clean them up quite a bit.  They are far from vinyl ready though they do cut.  The books that come out in January are actual vinyl ready format and they only cost $16 with a disc from Amazon.com

Schramm,

Well you're leaving in a couple days and will be out for a week or so.  Can you give us a short list of tasks to do and perfect until you get back.  I'm sure I'm not alone wanting to move more forward learning.

Thanks,

Regis

Mine cuts Great. the eps. files I mean, that's what I meant when I stated you have to look and see, some of them have file extensions I ain't never heard of, which translates into, I don't know what the f#$% to do with em'.

:) i cannot open schramm's eps. i need help.

REGARDS  DUKE

If you are using SignBlazer, you will have to "Import" and not open.  If you're not using SBE, then what software  are you using?

Since Schramm is on vacation for a couple of weeks ( if ya want to call moving a vacation, better him than me), I figured I'd continue where he started, till he gets back. Here is an Art Nouveau flower, lilly thingy, Art Neuveau uses a lot of flower thingy's. This is for a wall, at least that's what I used it for, you could cut this in wall vinyl, Oracle 631 is my choice, or make a paint-mask, then brush, sponge, roll, whatever. If cutting a wall vinyl sticker( vinyl wall embellishment), you want to weed, and leave black section, if making a paint mask, weed the black section out. Hope this file works for everyone, it's eps.,so should open. Post up any questions, or problems. Thanks  Mike

doverflower.EPS

doverflower.EPS

How can I get this damn file, off this damn cd, on to this damn reply? I can't get the jpeg to load, either.My sense of humor's running kinda thin, plus I just blowed up the engine on my lawn mower too, I just want to see if this reply will go through without an attachment.

What software are you viewing it with?  When you have it open, in anything, you should be able to "save as" or export to some place on your pc.  Probably can't save to the cd.

Regis   

Does anyone know when Schramm Will be back to continue this post? Did he make it to Illinois ok?    :thumbsup:

Mr. Peabody