lexiprice

Vinyl Wall Art - what is the best cutting software?

I'm doing vinyl wall art (just like every seventh stay at home mom...) and I want to find out the best cutting program. I've been using the trial of sign blazer and I don't love it. maybe it's because I don't get it. What's your favorite cutting program(as I'm sure there are many on here who've tried more than one)

Also, I'm looking for basic graphics- I'd really just like to be able to draw them myself - what is the best way to do this? Rrrg. I know this is so beginner junk I just need to learn- bleg.

Also, I've been using my vinyl cutter to cut cardstock- works AWESOME! If you want to know more, go ahead and ask me how.

Is there anyone on here who does vinyl wall art and would be willing to let me see their prices? I'm having a tough time pricing. I want to be cheaper comparably, but still make some money.

Okay, that's all for now. I'm so glad that this forum is here. I'm learning so much from you guys.

Lexi

Guest Schramm

Lexi,

I do wall words and wall graphics but I dont try to cut prices on the compition as I think that there is plenty of work out there.  I design my stuff in CorelDrawX3 Graphics Suite or Illustrator and then take it to Flexi 8.5 to cut.  Fair pricing is .10 per sq inch, if they want larger stuff cut then go down .02 per sq inch, I mean that is fair.  I cut ceiling medallions, wall works, wall graphics and a ton more for a bunch of people all over the US in the decorative market.  There is quite a bit to this business and you need to have about 40 different colors of vinyl in 3 different sizes 15", 24" & 30" which means transfer tape for all of those as well.  Many of the companies out there cutting dots and diamonds are charging $25 for 10 12" dots so if you think that compeating with that will make you any money your wrong, trust me I know...

Here is some stuff that I cut below, I would concentrate on figuring how much money you need to bring in to pay you bills and make your self a base pay scale that you have to make.  Make sure you calculate everything, cost of papers, vinyl, blades, electric bill (figure about 25% as office use).  Once you do this I think that you will figure out that .10 per sq inch is a good price and less than that (unless you are cutting a bigger job) is not worth it.  Keep in mind also how to calculate sq inches so that you are not charging the wrong price.

post-0-12986523221724_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986523221962_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986523222243_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986523223041_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298652323744_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986523237529_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986523237682_thumb.jpg

post-0-1298652323793_thumb.jpg

Guest Schramm

I dont know where you live but if you are near a college you can make a ton of money cutting different color dots, diamonds, squares, and much more as they have crazy requests.  I just did a 10"t x 96"l Playstation 3 wall word as the dorm room they have contests for playstation.  You can also make additional money installing it but I stear clear of any of that...  Keep in mind when doing this, think outside the box.

Hey Schramm - The firefighter pic that you shared?  If I only have a cutter, it isn't going to show the black markings on the pic, right?  So, so do you also use a printer?

Lexi,

The firefighter cuts out awesome in vinyl, I have done that one myself only on a sweatshirt. Signblazer was VERY intimidating to me when I first opened it and i expressed my frustrations with it and ME on here lol, The advise I was given was too not try and learn it all at once, take it slowly and practice makes perfect. Its been over a week and I have learned alot about the program and I'm beginning to figure out the basics. you just have to play with it and print and read the manual. You will be surprised at what you can do with it.

I have priced the other cutting programs and wow, they are pricey! I will move on from sign blazer eventually but first i need to make some mooooooolah!

Renee

no Sandy it was one color, I did it on a black sweatshirt in gray vinyl, came out really nice. I have not attempted a multi color anything yet! One of these i will take the plunge!

Renee

Schramm ... Do you use a special vinyl? Nd is it Matte or glossy?

Thanks.

Randal

schram when you say .10 cents a sq inch is that just the vinyl you use? Example. someone wants a saying that is 2"inches and I use a 12 x 24 piece of vinyl to cut it. Do you charge the 12 x 24 piece or the actual amount of letters that you used? Does that make sense? Do you charge for the waste also is what I am saying.

Christi

Christi,

unless you are cutting the 2 inch in the middle of the 12 x 24 vinyl you really shouldnt have too much waste. What cutter are using? For small things like that I always cut on the edge so I'm not wasting the rest of the vinyl. If your cutting in the middle of the 12 x 24 piece you will definetly have alot of waste but that shouldnt be charged to the customer.

Renee

Thanks Renee. I do cut at the edge of the vinyl but if it is more then one line it has the space in between. Like this kitchen one on here. I am still learning and have gotten better at how to move the two or more sentences together for the spacing then what SB wants you to do so there is a bit less waste.

Christi

Great Christi!

For me I have learned alot by trial and error! This vinyl is always always a learning process isnt it? I would love to have all the vinyl I have wasted! My first cutter was the roland sticka 12" and wow did I waste alot! But thats ok because I did learn from my mistakes so I guess it really wasnt a waste! At least thats what I try and tell myself...lol

Renee

When doing a few wall items, I have worked with some matt finish and some normal oracal 631, and I seem to have a hard time getting it to adhere to the wall without having to peel it away from the transfer. Is there a better low tack transfer sheet for this..?

Suggestions..?  Thanks

Hi Big Rich, I also use the oracal 631 for my wall art. I use Ultra T-Rite transfer tape for it. I haven't as of yet had a problem getting it off the tape. I have had a problem with the oracal black 631 not wanting to come off the paper it comes on to the transfer tape.

Christi

My black oracal 631 does not come off the paper well either.  Does this happen with other colors of 631?

Peppermint

Peppermint- I have found that some of the darker colors do the same thing in the 631 vinyl. I seen in one of the signwarehouse news letters that they are aware of this and gave some advice. Here is what it says. It is called the Oracal Flip tip. "Even with high tack tape, sometimes the vinyl just does not want to let go of that liner. They were born and raised together, they made the journey to your shop together and the vinyl just isn't ready to abandon its life long friend! To pry those bosom buddies apart, simply flip the vinyl over so that the letters are now face down with the back of the liner face up, and peal the liner at 180 degree angle back along the table surface (not upward towards you) It sounds like a minor thing but it will make a big difference in separeting the vinyl from the liner." I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I hope that it works for everyone that has this problem!

Christi

I know it works I've done it not only with 631 but some cheap vinyl too

Peppermint- I have found that some of the darker colors do the same thing in the 631 vinyl. I seen in one of the signwarehouse news letters that they are aware of this and gave some advice. Here is what it says. It is called the Oracal Flip tip. "Even with high tack tape, sometimes the vinyl just does not want to let go of that liner. They were born and raised together, they made the journey to your shop together and the vinyl just isn't ready to abandon its life long friend! To pry those bosom buddies apart, simply flip the vinyl over so that the letters are now face down with the back of the liner face up, and peal the liner at 180 degree angle back along the table surface (not upward towards you) It sounds like a minor thing but it will make a big difference in separeting the vinyl from the liner." I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but I hope that it works for everyone that has this problem!

Christi

I'm not sure if I am looking at this right. We had the problem of the vinyl actually sticking to the transfer tape, not the backing.

The challenge was to get it to stick tot he wall easier..  It is hard to get it to separate from the transfer tape and onto the wall.