haumana

fonts went nuts!

Okay, so my mac did some kind of automatic update with Office 2008 for Mac last night. When I fired it up this morning, all the fonts are weird. I thought maybe it was just my entourage, but it has effected my browsers too (both safari and firefox).

Any suggestions on how I change it back to the way I had it.

curse the dang microsoft for doing tard-o stuff like this to a mac.

Can you be a bit more specific than "weird & nuts"?  I assume you mean your system display font has changed? No apps on a mac should auto update without asking you first, even MSO.  If it's only safari, firefox & MSO that have changed you probably just need to go into the preferences for each app, check the appearances tab and see if the standard font has been changed.

Thanks. Well, as of now, those seem to be the only apps that started to display differently. The only thing that I "accepted" was the auto update. I let it run overnight because it was kind of dragging its feet. When I came back and rebooted in the morning, that's when I discovered that the font in my emails and browsers were completely different.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will make a point to go into each app and straighten it out.

Well I ended up going into the fonts library and taking out some fonts that I downloaded from dafont.com. That seemed to make it better. Is there any chance that I had accidentally installed a font that became the default?

Odd,  adding more fonts shouldn't change your display fonts unless somehow the standard fonts were overwritten/deleted...which I don't think is the case if it's returning to normal by deleting some fonts.    Did you just add them to the  library/fonts folder or install them through fontbook?  I've got several hundred fonts I use often living in my library/fonts folder, probably at least 100 are from dafont, never had any problems.  I also have another 10,000 or so fonts installed in extensis suitcase, which is a font manager like fontbook.  I've found fontbook to be a bit slow and unpredictable, so I guess if you installed them through fontbook there's a possibility they could have gotten mixed up with your system fonts somehow, though it seems unlikely