Sign in to follow this  
coloradokev

Setting a price for a contract job?

Hi Folks-

I was installing store front lettering for a customer this morning when the developements manager walked by and asked me to give him a contract (not an estimate, just a contract) for applying the suite numbers in 3" white letters on the doors for all 36 units in his development.  Should I just charge by the letter, or by the letter/inch plus application time?

On another note, I had an idea for the "Sow Your Work" thread:  Since pricing seems to be a common question asked after work is posted, why not just make it a rule-of thumb to include the pricing for the piece/job when posting the picture?  Seems like it would be easier for all, and handy to have for reference when sizing up other jobs like it.

Thanks a bunch-

K

Guest fivestar

Kev the contract would be a little hard off the go.  For the 36 if doing them at one time would be cheaper per door then if you was only doing 1 or 2 at a time.  I mean if you've got to travel there to put them on it would be hard to do it for a couple bucks each if you're only doing 1 or 2 at a time.

Hey-

Thanks Five... there are 30 doors I could do now, with the other 6 this fall.  There will be another 36 in the next calendar year as well (they gotta build 'em first though).

I had told him general stuff, like $1 a letter plus $35/ hour labor.  He didn't blink and just sais: "Oh, well sure, you've gotta charge labor.  Just draw it up and drop it by my leasing office."

So, 3 letters each door plus installation time?  Waddya think?

K

Guest fivestar

I'd say around $5.00-$6.00 each door in quanity of 30 or more.  If all you got to do is spray it down to clean it and then stick it on there.

I'd give them a price letter/number and then a price for door prep and installation. 

one more thing

If it's a contract not a work order, make sure you only install after all work is done, as they are responsible for any damage to them once they are installed.

I would take your hourly rate and multiply 1/2 hour per door, tak on 1 hour trip charge. and then figure your price per door for a prep'd and ready set of numbers.

Thanks PBear and FSM...

I was wondering what to do about labor (if at all, since I could just build that into the letter price).  The location is less that a mile away, so I don't see how I could apply a "travel charge".  But the doors do need to be cleaned, and with 3 inch letters, wet application would be preferable.

K

$5.00 per door, and 1/4 hour for labor per door(that would come out to a total of 9 hours @ $35 per hour = $315). The $5.00 per door would cover the material costs.

$5.00 per door, and 1/4 hour for labor per door(that would come out to a total of 9 hours @ $35 per hour = $315). The $5.00 per door would cover the material costs.

Thank you sir!

- K

Guest Schramm

I too think that $5 per door is a great deal for both of you.  You can make a quick $300 and he gets a good deal and an easy to understand contract.