Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

What web browser do you use?

I use IE 7

Any of you computer gurus ever heard of a virus that blocks you from logging on to email sites, or sites that need you to login to, such as Hotmail, or Yahoo, or eBay? I can browse anywhere else, and I can get to eBay's main page, just as I can with Hotmail and Yahoo, but when I try to login with my info., the page can not be displayed. Happening at home, probably because the gf likes to download all kinds of crap via Limewire- and Limewire is the devil.

:lol:

Oh, and so far I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE, tried Mozilla, and still no luck. AVG anti-virus does not find much.

ok so whats happening is sites that are secure its blocking access to them.. try this.. goto tools.. internet options.. advance...Check the option for Use SSL 2.0 and then restart.. i had one in here that did that and once i changed it to SSL 2.0 it worked.. this was on IE7 btw..

is this on xp or vista? on vista you can try to run IE7 with protected mode off and see if you can get to secure sites.. had that happen a few times as well..

another option is to install firefox or opera.. and see if you can connect to secure sites.. there was an update awhile back that was playing havock with secure sites in IE7..

post back what you find..

*EDIT*  doh.. just noticed you said you tried mozilla.. could possibly be some spyware that has changed somethings.. hmmm i'll wait to see if u can try what i said above..

BannerJohn.. i gotcha.. i have friends in the biz as well.. many of my long time friends who were hackers back in the day now work for symantec and mcafee.. now i wouldnt even run either of their softwares now.. memory hogs.. but that is another story..

:-X

Almost sounds like a cookie settings issue vs a virus issue...

BTW... thanks for hi-jacking my thread, Ken... you of all people!!! LMAO  :lol::-X j/k

Almost sounds like a cookie settings issue vs a virus issue...

BTW... thanks for hi-jacking my thread, Ken... you of all people!!! LMAO  :lol::-X j/k

;D  i just wanted to say.. you guys/gals are like a big family and i know we all cant agree 100% of the time.. but its good to see a forum that is so quick to help everyone.. i love it here ;D

Ken...wipe your drive and start over. The last LIMEWIRE comp I had to clean  took FIVE HOURS and I could have wiped and reinstalled Windows in 30 minutes.

After that,take away the g/f's admin privileges. Limewire is a virus.

Ken...wipe your drive and start over. The last LIMEWIRE comp I had to clean  took FIVE HOURS and I could have wiped and reinstalled Windows in 30 minutes.

After that,take away the g/f's admin privileges. Limewire is a virus.

That is what I told her needs to be done, but she really does not want to lose all of her music, yet it is probably the freaking music downloaded via Limewire that has caused this whole fiasco to begin with.    blah..

Burn all the music to a CD. Take CD to good comp, and scan D: for virus, while you are reinstalling the comp with the issue.