Sign in to follow this  
repodon

my 1st big job

wow i am so excited i finally done some thing good a guy contacted me and my ex g/f

( still my best friend ) asked about doing his business name in the reflective vinyl  white or silver  he bought the vinyl and all we did was cut the letters out which was Alpha & omega plumbing with the phone number  size was 97in lenght x 15in high mind you he bought the vinyl we only charged him $125 bucks he was very pleased and happy and told us that no one would touch it and if they would it will take about 3 to 6 weeks befor they could even get to it  they were going to charge him $389 was the lowest but he is very well pleased

so my question is was i off or way off by charging him so little but he bought the vinyl the vinyl is the reflective type you see on  directional signs on the highway  boy oh boy was that mess thick

thanks in advance

glad to hear you got your first job. that price is good to me. it got your name out there and you also got paid not a bad deal.

i wanted to chime in and say.. as a small business owner.. you gotta get your name out there and show that you do quality work.. once you do that.. your reputation will spread.. then you will make your money back 10 fold.. you did the right thing.. always help your friends and family whenever you can.. good to see you are still friends with an ex.. sometimes it can be hard but its good to see.. people are people.. congrats on your first job.. it feels good when you make money on something you enjoy to do.. i cant wait to start cutting some vinyl.. i already have friends beggin me for stickers.. :)

btw.. 97" x 15" and your first job??? you crazy  ;D  j/k  you gotta be confident if you tackle that length.. wish you had pictures.. 

$125 for just typing out a name & number and then cutting the vinyl... $$$ pure profit!  ;D

wellgmbk ive been doing little things from the vector book and the one that ken imes helped me to but that was it then this guy calls and asked about if i can do his name and business n phone number i said yes but then he wanted it the 97x 15 or so  so i did it and he bought the vinyl so i thought i did damn good he was happy and please  triing to put my name out there like the rest of you all did and hopefully one day i can make millions like u all do a day lol

ALOT OF MY FRINEDS say i got big cahunas hope that is spelled right  the things i do and get into

I WANT TO PERSONALLY THANK THE GROUP FOR HELPING ME GET TO WHERE I AM NOW THANK YOU I KNOW I WAS A PAIN IN THE AS_ I DO APPOLOGIZE BUT THANK YOU TO THE WHOLE GROUP FOR ANSWERING THE BILLIONS OF QUESTIONS I OWE IT TO YOU ALL THANK YOU

well.. you did good charging him less.. I have dealt with the under-pricing

on my own projects.. BE SURE of yourself and charge accordingly. Try to

judge time spent, complexity, and all other factors before giving a price.

You want to make sure you dont hate yourself afterwards..

I will also say this, I live by, You have to do one FREE/CHEAP job on the

street to get the rest of them for full price,.. I dont make money off of

YOU, I make money off of your 10 friends, and their 10 friends... etc

So dont sweat it, its a learning experience, you will eventually be able

to say.. hmm... this will take about 4 hours... I need to make $30 an

hour (which is my minimum) on this job.. plus, design, install, etc..

check out my pricing at http://synfxonline.com/products.html

Everyone is welcome to use it as a reference.. I have had no problems

with customers willing to pay my fees.  Most shops around here are about

15 - 20% higher than my prices.. Be sure to always let them know if you

are giving them a discount, even if you aren't.. it will make them HAPPY!!

well.. you did good charging him less.. I have dealt with the under-pricing

on my own projects.. BE SURE of yourself and charge accordingly. Try to

judge time spent, complexity, and all other factors before giving a price.

You want to make sure you dont hate yourself afterwards..

I will also say this, I live by, You have to do one FREE/CHEAP job on the

street to get the rest of them for full price,.. I dont make money off of

YOU, I make money off of your 10 friends, and their 10 friends... etc

So dont sweat it, its a learning experience, you will eventually be able

to say.. hmm... this will take about 4 hours... I need to make $30 an

hour (which is my minimum) on this job.. plus, design, install, etc..

check out my pricing at http://synfxonline.com/products.html

Everyone is welcome to use it as a reference.. I have had no problems

with customers willing to pay my fees.  Most shops around here are about

15 - 20% higher than my prices.. Be sure to always let them know if you

are giving them a discount, even if you aren't.. it will make them HAPPY!!

after reading your response in the thread about the door i am doing i was glad you linked to your pricing. It gave me a place to start with pricing.  once again thanks!!!

you are absolutly right not going to male money off of you i am going to make money of ur 10 friends n there 10 friends i agree i totaly agree

also see inkscape for my next question inkscape to  signblazer

like i said i could not have done it with our ALL OF YOU GUYS AND LADYS THANK YOU FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY A_S

Congradulations. 

One caution though about working with someone elses material.  If something had gone wrong and the vinyl go damaged then replacing can be a problem.  Not so much cost with vinyl but, when I did engraving, I'd get folks wanting me to engrave their special spoon or....whatever.  If you have any accidential damage, replacement can be costly.

Sounds like you did really good Don.  That was a decent chunk of change for the job and best of all you have a happy customer!!

If you ever get a picture of it please share!!!

Jenny