Sign in to follow this  
vlovell24

Howdy from Michigan

Hello everyone,

We purchased our vinyl cutter a couple of weeks ago, and we have been practicing like crazy in our basement. We have a huge walk-out basement that is basically empty, so it was a good place to put everything for now. Before we got the cutter we researched for about two months. Vinyl, Solvent Printers, Cutters, Market, and Vector. The truth is we were starting from scratch, and so far my boyfriend has learned how to convert images to vector and run illistrator really well. He signed up for some online classes for some extra help in graphic design.

Before we started this we made custom painted murals, and it was fun for about the first six months. I didn't realize how demanding all the kintergarden moms were lol. We did that for about two years, and then I had enough. We stayed up for days getting orders finished, didn't have time to eat, or sleep. It was hectic.

I researched about two years ago on printers that could do the same thing as hand painting. Only problem is that I would need about ohhhhh twenty grand to even start, and that's not counting the laminator. So, I figured oh well im done. Now I am in accounting. Well, I found out about vinyl cutters by accident, and they can do nearly the same thing, so here we are. The nice thing is that they have a pen adapter, so I can print the painting outline with the cutter if I choose to paint again. Makes the work a little easier.

I do have a lot of questions, and ive read nearly all of the forums so far. Everyone on here is very helpful and very laid back. I appreciate that because I also write on signs101, and most of the guys there are pretty darn spiteful. It makes it very discouraging to even get started. We plan on doing decals, and wall art. Its fun.

Now, vector seems to be the biggest problem. Some CD's are well over 2k. WOW........ We have some for now, and will expand later I suppose.

welcome!

I never felt welcome on signs101...too many there who look down their noses at anyone trying to get started in the business.

Welcome to the site...

There are a ton of images posted throughout this site(mainly in the graphics request forum), that are already vectorized, and in .eps format(cut ready)... start downloading them!  :thumbsup:

thanks guys.

Yeah, the signs101 guys would rather tell you that you are stupid rather than help :'(

Thank you for the graphics tip.

I have a lot of cusomers that like women lol. They want big murals of big women. I have two image CD's of stripper poses just for that little niche. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums.  Definitely the best place for learning, sharing, support and a good laugh when you need one.

What area of MI are you from??  I currently live near Midland, but will soon be moving out of state.

I have some friends out that way!  :thumbsup:

I know you'll love it here!

Guest fivestar

Welcome to our forums.  You'll see it's ALOT BETTER then signs101 is.

Guest rvgraphixs

welcome from above the bridge (you troll) :thumbsup:

Not just under the bridge, but a long way from the top.

How is the weather up there right now???

Val

RV, I never realized you too were from MI. 

Jenny

Welcome to another Michigander, appears to be a few here. I dropped down South form the Indiana/Michigan border 'bout 4o years back. Glad ya found the gaggle.

Guest kenya

Welcome Val, to the best sign forum on the net!