RegisG

Oracal 651 - Do different colors cut different?

I am trying to stick to one kind of vinyl with the idea that it would be most consistant while I'm  learning.  I'm using Oracal 651 and did fine until today.  I was cutting blue then black and had a problem on the black with 1/2" letters.  When I weeded, the cuts were not always though the vinyl and of course much much harder to weed.  Messed up a couple.  Do different colors cut differently.  I am on my original 45 degree blade (2+ weeks old). 

Is this likely an issue with the small size font, the color, or the blade (type & adjustment)?  I'm reluctant to just adjust or change blade without have a fair idea that it is the problem.  I do have 60 degree blade inhouse. 

Thank you,

Regis (weeding my way through the learning curve)

I would think if either vinyl(cast or calendared) would have a variable in thickness, it would be the cast since it's more or less laid by hand. Calendared vinyl is laid and rolled by machines, so you would think the thickness would be a constance... but thenagain, I'm still a n00b at this too.  ;D

Guest fivestar

I have had the same problems with different colors from every manufacturer I have used and black seems to be the worst.  Believe it or not I had the exact same problem today with FDC black.  I knew after I started weeding it that I forgot to set the pressure up another 20.  That's what I normally do is set the pressure up 20 from where I cut white, which is what I use the most of.  Really the proper way to do it is do a test cut each time you load different vinyl into the mahine using the machine's test cut feature, but that takes too long for me.  ;D ;D ;D