laserman70

mylar sheets?

Has anyone tried cutting mylar paper or sheets w/ their cutter? I am doing alot of airbrushing lately and want to make some templates.  If you have please give me some feedback and where you purchased your mylar at.

thanks

Gregg

I do stencils in mylar on my xy-380 and have no problems. I'm sure it will cut on any machine. I get my mylar from michaels and use a 60 blade.

Is there any backing on those sheets or do you attach a backing somehow?

thanks

Guest Schramm

Very very interesting subject.  I use my plotter to cut stencils for furniture design but I get people all the time requesting mylar stencils.  I like the single use stencils as vinyl you can design very intricate stencils where with a mylar stencil the design needs breaks.  Tell me more about this backer that you put on it as I would love to cut the stencils out of mylar myself.  Somewhere I have a lead to where to buy mylar in rolls and the price really isnt that bad...

Thermo flex comes with a sticky backing that most people throw away. I save the large pieces for my stencil backing. Its has low enough tack for pulling it off and strong enough tack to hold the stencil cuts in place. Cheap contact paper works the same.

Guest Schramm

What kind of pressure are you using to cut the mylar and what thickness? 5 mil?  Most stencils you know are cut by laser and the company stencil ease will cut them quite cheep for you, from 1 to 1000000, doesnt matter.  The more you buy the less the cost.  I would just like to play to see how well it works.

Thermo flex comes with a sticky backing that most people throw away. I save the large pieces for my stencil backing. Its has low enough tack for pulling it off and strong enough tack to hold the stencil cuts in place. Cheap contact paper works the same.

Nice! I was asked about these tonight and said I'm not sure if i can do re-use able stencils.

Now it doesn't cut all the way through the thero clear backing or does it?

There's a company that sells Mylar (Polyester) stencil material in various width/length rolls in 3 mil. with and without a removable adhesive, 5 and 6.5 mil clear that removes from its backing adhesive free.  All are on a kraft backing and cut great.  The 3 mil is called Poly-Cut, the 5 mil. is called Clear-Cut CCB5 and the 6.5 mil. is called Clear-Cut CCB7.  They are available along with a wide range of other stencil materials from www.breninc.com.

Tom