Sign in to follow this  
aaavinton

48" LP cutting power in the middle of a job...

My Laserpoint is not finishing a job(and sometimes barely starting one.) Its about 3 months old, running SBE on XP with USB. I've never had a connection problem before  but had a few occasions previously where it hadn't completed a job. Now it is resetting power consistently. Its not hitting the kill switches and nothing appears to be wrong with the kill switches.

I don't think its a USB connection issue but rather a power issue with the plotter itself. It will restart the plotter during a job(runs through the ver4.25 and all the numbers on the LCD.)

The power doesn't cut out long enough for the fan to even stop but its long enough that it drops the job.

Any help?

From what you have described, I would be leaning towards a power issue as well. If you feel comfortable opening the unit, I would tip it on it's side and remove the bottom panel to expose the power supply on the left side of the bottom panel. Make sure all wires are securely connected. Might want to check that on the motherboard as well (right side of bottom panel). If all looks good, we may need to replace the power supply.

Ken,

This picture was taken on the right side of the cutter(under the LCD side)

I am assuming this wire should be connected somewhere?

P6232107.jpg

This next picture is a parallel cable on the same side, the black marks on it are where it was rubbing on the gear.

P6232108.jpg

We powered it up without the bottom cover on and it didn't cut out at all, red LED didn't

blink once.

Also, the belt on the right side that runs the roller has wear because its rubbing on the outer edge of the pulley, tried to reposition it towards the center of both pulleys but it returned to the outer edge and continued to rub when I advanced the roller. I'm assuming this is why the plotter was making more noise than when I first got it?

Thanks

You could try connecting the ground wire, just loosen a nearby screw and tighten it down. Not sure if that will help or not, and it is tough to tell from the picture, but has the flat grey ribbon cable been rubbed to the point where some wires are exposed?