Sign in to follow this  
timbo6470

cutting not as good as it used to

Hi

Just wanted to ask if anyone had some solutions to my proble. Myrefine 721 was cutting fine except for now the edges of my lettering is a bit "wonky", as in a bit dog legged. I have read this forum and checked that the cariage is on the tracks properly. I have reinstalled a brand new blade, checked the pressure etc. but still no joy any other suggestions???

Thanks

Tim

Well, Im having the same problem. I was going to post it today and see what people have to say.

you're gonna have to be more specific than 'wonky'. A pic would be even better.

ok sorry, i dont have a pic at moment but what i mean by wonky is this. Pirture the letter "T" made up of a verticle line and a horizontal line. Well instead of the lines being perfectly straight the lines are jaggered in places. Its gererally with smaller text, larger text and graphics are fine just with smaller text. When I say small I dont mean really tiny or too thin lets say txt thats bold and maybe 15mm in height. If this doesnt describe the prob, ill take a pic of a job ive just done and attatch it.

Ok, this is not my post, but I can post a pic of what is happenenig to me. Maybe it is the same thing that is happening to timbo and we can find a solution.

I will post it in a few minutes.

Joe

Now back to your problem:

1. Can you post the file you are cutting? Maybe it is bad to start with. Or does this happen to every file you cut?

2. Can you check what your offset value is?

3. What cutting software are you using?

4. How long does your blade sticks out of the carriage?

Joe

no it happens mainly to just small text everything else seems ok (ive used multiple files - im sure the file is all good)

Ill take a pic when i get to work i the morning and post it.

Im using signcut

my offset value is .25

my blade sticks out only a whisker (about the thickness of vinyl) I have played with the length though and seems to do nothing.

Tim

Try selecting "Normal Sign" mode in Signcut X2 and click on the box that says something about small cust in the cutting menu.

Also, as suggested by fivestar, put some lubricant in the blade to allow the blade to move freely.

Joe

Guest fivestar

I am currently using .015 in Flexi.

what does the offset actually do?

It's kind of like a car pulling a trailer. The trailer tires do not follow exactly the same path of the car tires because they are being pulled behind. Offset compensates for the distance that the actual cutting tip of the blade is away from the center of the holder axis.

For those having issues with their Refine, to know for certain whether it is a problem with the cutter, or a software/ file related issue, run a Test cut from the cutter itself and check the results. Poor test cuts from the cutter mean the cutter is having a problem. If the test cut comes out fine, most likely it is the file or the software.

The only thing is it only seems to have issues with text about 15mm in height everything else thats bigger seems fine, therefore not sure if its software or the cutter??

tim

I just started having this problem today. I 'm some lettering, but my cutter is not the latters on the far right. Maybe about 2" in from the right side is where it kinda fades into nothing.

I'm using between 100-110 down force.

Its also making some awful sounds.

I'm using flexi 7.5 and this plotter is about 1 yr old.

Is this about all I can expect of it after this much time?

also I see where you guys are talking about lubing. What kind of lube and where should I lube it.

Thanks in advance.

here is one of my test cuts, not very good

post-872-12986521192704_thumb.jpg

post-872-12986521205869_thumb.jpg

WOW, thats a really ugly bump. Please check that your blade holder is in track (make sure the 2 white wheels are inside the track).

JC

WOW, thats a really ugly bump. Please check that your blade holder is in track (make sure the 2 white wheels are inside the track).

JC

Hey Joe,

that was it, that cutter head was getting pulled back and forth on that track, making all that racket

Pop'd them little white wheels in ,and man , what a difference.

i cant thank you enuff,

thank you thank you thankyou