HI, 

I'M COMPLETELY OUT OF MY DEPTH WITH PLOTTERS AND CUTTERS. I PURCHASED A US CUTTER OFF EBAY TO HELP WITH MY ART WORK, WANTING TO WORK WITH A LARGER FORMAT THAN MY SMALL WORK TOP AREA , FIRSTLY I MUST EXPLAIN THAT 

I'M 86 YRS AND NOT VERY TECH SAVVY,,,, SO COMING TO THE POINT , WHERE AND HOW DOES ONE FIND A DRIVER DOWNLOAD FOR THE US CUTTER 53" 871 MODEL.        I;M ON A LAPTOP WIN 7 OS, ALSO BEST FREE SOFTWARE TO USE (  BEING ON FIXED INCOME), ANYONE ABLE TO KILL MY FRUSTRATION,

THANK YOU 

BILL

Welcome to the forum.

If possible,  please try not to post in all caps, as I almost mistook it for spam, and came close to deleting the post all together.

Have you consulted the manual for your cutter? It will guide you on how to properly setup your machine, including steps for connecting it via USB

MH Manualhttps://uscutter.com/content/PDFs/MH_Manual_09172019.pdf

You do not need free cutting software, as it should've come bundled with VinylMaster Cut.  Which can be downloaded here: https://uscutter.estore.software/downloads provided that you have your PSN (Product Serial Number), which should have been included with the cutter.

If you truly want "freeware," then search this forum for the SignBlazer Elements download.  You will need to disable your antivirus to install the software, but rest assured that if you downloaded it via this forum, it is malware and virus free.  Please also note, that the original creator of the software has long passed away that the only means of 'support' is probably through this forum, which is contributed by volunteers.

Good luck, happy cutting, and please keep us posted on your progress. 

Hi there, Mr Bill.

53" cutter is very large, and you're gonna require lots of working area (tabletops) for weeding, taping, transferring.
What are you doing that requires a 48" wide vinyl?

While do you say that this project is going to be somewhat of a crap-shoot, because you're not 'tech savvy' ? Do you already design, using what program? When buying that cutter, did it come with SureCutsALot (SCAL) or V-M?

We'll help you out, but tell us where you're at in the entire cutter-upgrade process, so we can follow along with your endeavors.

HI , I BOUGHT THE CUTTER FROM E BAY , SO I DO NOT HAVE THE ACCESS TO THE PSN   COULD I USE THIS NUMBER TO TRACE THE PSN ?THE MODEL  NUMBER IS 2703 /     I USE THE 53 MODEL TO LAYOUT THE DRAWING OF GALAXIES AND NEBULA'S PRIOR TO PAINTING

THANK YOU FOR YOU SPEEDY REPLIES

Cutters need to be sold with design/cut/connectivity software.

Please contact your eBay seller and inquire about that.

You can use 'RedSail' driver with free SignBlazer.

• Like 1

HI , I BOUGHT THE CUTTER FROM E BAY , SO I DO NOT HAVE THE ACCESS TO THE PSN   COULD I USE THIS NUMBER TO TRACE THE PSN ?THE MODEL  NUMBER IS 2703 /     I USE THE 53 MODEL TO LAYOUT THE DRAWING OF GALAXIES AND NEBULA'S PRIOR TO PAINTING

THANK YOU FOR YOU SPEEDY REPLIES

Please, please, please do no write in all caps.

I also bought my first cutter from eBay, it was new, direct from US Cutter.  You did not specify whether your cutter was new or used, but based on your response, I'm going to hazard a guess that it was used.  You might want to check with the seller to see if they still have that information.

If they do not, then your "free" option is to use SignBlazer.  Slice & Dice was kind enough to provide the link for you.  Again, pause your antivirus software to install SignBlazer.

• Like 1

Please, please, please do no write in all caps.

I also bought my first cutter from eBay, it was new, direct from US Cutter.  You did not specify whether your cutter was new or used, but based on your response, I'm going to hazard a guess that it was used.  You might want to check with the seller to see if they still have that information.

If they do not, then your "free" option is to use SignBlazer.  Slice & Dice was kind enough to provide the link for you.  Again, pause your antivirus software to install SignBlazer.

hi, 

thank you very much,

the reason i compose in cap's is because of poor eye sight  (sorry)

• Like 1

hi, 

thank you very much,

Your computer operating system has a 'display' feature which will magnify things to 150%  (Control Panel -- Hardware -- Display)

(also, use Control key while using the scroll wheel on the mouse, it'll make things bigger on the fly)

hi, 

thank you very much,

Got it.  You can definitely change your screen resolution, so that everything becomes scaled bigger for you, or as Slice & Dice suggested, to increase the display to a larger percentage.

Another great option is to hold the CTRL key and press the + key, that should enlarge what you're looking at.

thank you, 

i manage to acquire the software from e bay, every thing seemed fine until i tried to operate the cutter but for some reason i don't get the laptop to regonise the the device ,hence no connection although all , i have got network connection on my laptop tried the wizard to conect or find the driver ,but to no avail.

i'm on win os 7        usb connection to cutter can you please guide me to get this cutter working ,

activating seems to be ok ,except for no driver found 

thank 

bill 

Oh Nooooo, Mr Bill .....   (Obscure reference to 1974 SNL)

We'll help you out, but tell us where you're at in the entire process, so we can follow along with your endeavors.

What software? Screenshots of your setup/cutting windows? Try this unique driver ---  (VCP)
https://mydrivers.online/software/stm32-virtual-com-port-driver  or  https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32102.html

The Cutter will not show up as a printer or device on your computer.  It will be detectable via whatever software you are using to send jobs to the cutter.

So, we need to know what software you are using, and we can help guide you from there.

Mr Bill, let's start fresh, go back and read this thread from the top (Feb. 10th), because we honestly have no idea what you want to achieve now. Your original posting (opening Post = OP) asked a direct question ---

"What Free Software to use with a MH871?"

The initial replies to that request provided exactly the information you requested.  (Haumana and myself).

On the 15th, you then added that the (VinylMaster) program was provided by the seller, but it didn't recognize the cutter.

OK, so I told you to download and install VCP. Did you do that? (no reply was forthcoming in the meantime, until now, without any particular added information about what you've attempted, and what your setup screen looks like, as we've asked for).

It's one thing to be Non Tech-savvy. It's another thing to avoid following along a thread of troubleshooting, without offering specific feedback on what's been suggested. If you want to get that cutter working, we'll try to help, but you have to help us, too.

I;M SO SORRY FOR THE CAUSE OF YOU FRUSTRATIONS DEALING WITH ME.

IT WOULD APPEAR I MAYBE STARTING WITH  ELDERLY COMMON AILMENTS   IE MEMORY

I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO PERSUE MY AIMS IN LIFE ,BUT WHAT I DO WANT TO DO IS TO THANK YOURSELF AND YOU COLLEAGUE FOR YOUR HELP

BEST WISHES AND GOOD LUCK FOR THE FUTURE 

BILL UK 

...and, back to shouting at us.

Frustrated? No, just prefer to keep a troubleshooting thread on track. Since none of us can sit there next to you and manipulate the settings on your computer in person, the only way to solve issues is to follow certain tried-and-true methods to instruct what things to attempt, in order to get a cutter to spring to life.
If you want to abandon that effort, your choice, and we appreciate the thanks for getting you this far.

VCP should have worked, by the way. It's pretty basic driver for USB Com devices like a plotter.