Cloves2022

Car Decals - Vinyl & Transfer Paper Questions

Hi all, 

I run a USCutter TITAN 3 and so far have used oracal 651 for most of my projects. (walls, laptop skins).

I was wondering what people were using for car decals. I know you can use 651 on glass. 651 being calendered vinyl doesn't like to bend too much from what I have seen. I have a project coming up where the decal will need to go on a front fender that has a pretty good contour. Would 651 applied via wet method (using paper transfer tape) still be the best approach? Or would using something like oracal 751 (cast) work better to conform to the contour?

I have had made a couple of laptop skins using 651 and applied using the dry method and plastic transfer tape. I always end up with a lot of small bubbles and while the vast majority tend to go away a week later, I still some. Which lead me to thinking that perhaps using either a wet application or 751 would work better. 

Also wondering what transfer tape (Both paper and plastic) recommend with 651/751. 

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a good Christmas!

Professionals use paper tape. It can be applied wet or dry. I use medium tack paper tape. I prefer perfectear paper tape. That is what I use for every thing.  Clear tape you can use for layers. And cannot use with wet application.  You cannot use with curves. For curves use a cast vinyl like 751, 951. Cast vinyl is very nice to cut and pliable. The stretch of it stays in place and has a better adhesive.

https://uscutter.com/shop/?search_query=perfectear

• Like 1

Thanks MZ and thanks for sharing all that you have in the forums. 

I was given a full 24" roll of TransferRite Ultra paper tape and I have been unable to use it. Every time I go to unroll, it starts to tear up. I am assuming the roll is just older and the glue has gone bad. I will give that paper tape a go. I get that clear tape just holds the water in vs the paper after a lot of reading online when doing wet installs. 

I read that you usually do large format jobs. When you do smaller jobs do you change the roll sizes? Right now I basically only use 2 colors and just have x2 24" rolls and I try to optimize my jobs so I use most of the sheets width. Trying to keep my waste down. I was thinking perhaps I should run 12" rolls as well. 

I started reading up on oracal 751 and 951 then stumbled upon a ton more vinyl that Oracal offers. Apparently they even have a 751RA or air release. It's all a bit overwhelming.  

I have 6", 9, 12", 15", 18", 24, 30"  of paper transfer tape.100 yd length.  I only buy 50 yd rolls of vinyl in 15" 24" 30" In 24 colors.  I only have 3 colors in 15"  I only sell online.  I purchase my tape at  jra-signsupplies.  Ebay most of the time.  I purchase a 48" log and they will slit it up to 5 times free. Located in Michigan.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153452552342?var=453402809544

I have had some tape do that before. But I can usually unroll it several times, like 5 times. and then the tape gets better. The outside layers may dry out, but the inside is fine. Maybe , maybe not. depends on how old the tape is. I try to help when I can.

• Like 2