Sign in to follow this  
James353

Graphtec CE5000-120 control panel issues with down button

Hi All,

I have aquired a Graphtec CE5000-120, and noticed that the down button on the control panel

doesn't appear to be working. I have since then replaced the control panel with a new panel, and

cable ribbon that is attached to the head. Checked all cable connections. The issue with the down button control panel still persists.

On pressing the test button, the graphtec cuts a triangle/square as expected.

On starting up the graphtec plotter, (with the media vinyl loaded),  I notice that in the initization startup, the as the head

moves back and forward(as expected), but the media vinyl only move back but not forward.

As shown in the following video for another Graphtec plotter model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh1zXyTEd5o

Using the same button, I am unable to scroll down the selected option on the panel. I can only scroll up through the

plotter options.

Any advice, there?

The head moves side to side (x) and up and down (z), not back & forward.

The grit rollers (y) perform the task of advancing and retracting the vinyl, which you say is not happening correctly.

If your Y axis is malfunctioning, there's nothing we can do about that from our seats here in front of our computers.

You already have done some preliminary work to find out what's causing the failure (not the buttons) so the answer must be found within the actual motherboard circuitry. That is beyond our pay grade.

Thank you, that was my gut feeling! I had hoped it was a simplier fault, that was down to my lack of experience with the control commands.

I managed to have another look at this problem again, and with the aid of a circuit diagram for the Graphtec CE5000, I found that the secondary cable that connected the control panel to the motherboard was damaged/niked. I replaced this cable and everything worked as it should, there after.

Not sure how this could have happened. it is possible that the cable managed to get caught up in a moving part during transport, or when someone would have done maintence on the plotter.

20231208_105159a.jpg

Nice of you to get back here to report on the solution. Always appreciated to see mysteries solved.

Great news that the motherboard itself was fine, and only this damaged ribbon cable connected to it was at fault.

Astonishing how even the smallest 'dinger' can bring a very expensive and powerful machine to a halt.

• Like 1