Sign in to follow this  
neron15210

man with a lot of questions

how to start making decals  

1. 1. how to start making decals

• how to start making decals
    • how to make t shirt transfer

Hi,

I've just bought pcut and some vinyl on Ebay.

I'm planing to start making some t shirt transfers and Decals. Now I can  use all help I can get. I'm really rookie in all this.

How to start?

Is there any manual how to make Simple t shirt transfer and Decal.

Practice is the best way to learn so I would be  thankful for any input.

Thanks

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, there are a ton of threads that could easily cover all if not most of your questions.  If you have checked around and didn't get a certain question answered, please feel free to ask away.

Here is a thread about supplies you may need to get you started:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,6635.0/topicseen.html

http://www.fellers.com/  - Fellers has good prices on a vinyl called ShineRite. They sell by the yard, so you can stock all of the colors cheap. I bought the 15"x10yard rolls at $14.50 a roll. They offer free freight at $75, but I found out today that they have to put you on a program to get that. So, if you order be sure to tell them to put you on the $75 freight program.

I am re-entering the wonderful world of cutter graphics after a 15 year or better hiatus, so I am virtually a newbie as well. The ShineRite cuts really nice and weeds super easy. The signs I have done so far have been for friends who had no weeding/application experience and they weeded and applied their own signs with no problems.

Fellers also carries a t-shirt material, I have not used it yet. It is called Fibron, I believe.

You don't say if you have any design experience or not. So .... I recomend that you get a vector drawing program if ou do not have one. A very basic vector program comes with the suite from www.openoffice.org. A more advanced and a very professional program is available from www.inkscape.com. Both are free. I have used Corel since the crossing of the red sea, had inkscape of been around way back then I'd of saved a lot of money.

Welcome to the gaggle, jump in with both feet. Remember, the only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Thanks.

Does anyone know good place to get blank t shirts?

I can use a few pointers about app. tape (clear or...) good place to buy it?

Last night I've stayed up reading posts till 1 am >

Big thanks.

I have used:

www.jiffyshirts.com

www.ssactivewear.com

www.onestopinc.com

Alot depends on your location as far as shipping goes.

Guest fivestar

www.virginiats.com

www.broderbros.com

Are 2 good places to get t-shirts. 

What type of t-shirt material are you going to be doing?  heat press vinyl, inkjet transfers, plastisol?

BTW, welcome to the forums.

I'm already making some with ink jet transfers , and I hope after my pcut arrive  I will start to use  heat press vinyl .

BTW Thanks guys for helpful links .

What is your suggestion what type of  app. tape is good for Decals (for rookie)

For decals, I love Main Tape Perfect Tear.  I'm sure others may prefer something else. 

We had bought a different kind of app tape off Ebay and it was NOT good at all.  Received the suggestion from BannerJohn and haven't regretted it.

Jenny

Guest fivestar

Yes Perfec tear is what I use too.

Welcome, sorry Im late I have been working on my pinball decals recently and not been on the board.

Wayne

Guest fivestar

No excuse Wayne, come here first before anything else gets done.  :huh:

I know Fivestar, BTW, I still have that fivestar decal to put on my car with just water so I can prove or disprove your water only theory :huh:

lol,

Wayne

Guest fivestar

lol............Oh believe me my "water only" is a PROVEN THEORY".  I just done 8 coraplast signs today with my "water only" method.  Worked like a charm for all of 'em. :huh:

yeah yeah fivestar!!!.... actually, I know, your right, your right..

although I still have my fivestar decal to put on my car as a test, I actually did my dads boat with your water only theory.... pics below

http://picasaweb.google.com/Arcadeforever/Signs?authkey=zeHTIKXon6A

and Ill say, yes it definitely works(although in my case, on the boat, the water beaded quite a bit so i had to keep spraying it), just instead of sliding it around you have to pull it off and realign.. I prefer it with no soap after that, but I think I would like to use soap if you are doing a BIG and detail decal, cause there is a LITTLE resistance from the adhesive when you pull it off with only water..

Wayne

Guest fivestar

The boat looks nice, good job.  I want pics of the fivestar decal on the boat somewhere. :huh:;D:)

hahahaha thanks my friend, but its an 8 hour drive back up to Niagara Falls,  you'll have to settle for it being on my Ford Focus........

Wayne