DONMMA

Stencil Masks

Hello All ! 

I have some ViViVid stencil mask.  The stuff wont stay stuck to the paper backing so when I try to print on it for my particular application, I cant.  It does not stay stuck to the paper backing and bubbles form between the paper backing and the vinyl so it gets jammed up in my printer.   Also when I put it on wood I have to dust it slightly with a powder so it does not leave a residue when I peel it off; the  2 things I don't like about the Blue ViVid stencil mask.

Anyway I now wish to mask a leather jacket and this stuff does not stick to this leather at all, I certainly could not air brush with it because it does not stick well enough.   So now I am wondering about different brands of Stencil.  I wish I had the funds to order samples of every brand I can find tell I find one that works ---- On that note I was thinking about calling Dick Blick and seeing if they would send me different samples to try out.  Or some other company ?   

I attached a picture of this 3m Bandage made by 3M and it would be PERFECT as a mask if I could find it.  It comes with a backing as well you can see it still on the film on the jacket. That white part pulls off and it keeps it stiff.   If 3M is not making a Mask out of this stuff I hope they figure out that they need to because that stuff would work great if it was on the right kind of backing and it could be cut with vinyl cutters if the backing paper was right.  Its probably out there I just do not know where to look.  

Also I see I can buy this film in a 6 x 8 bandage.   It would be awesome if I could find it in a roll that was made for a cutter.   Then I found this :

https://www.amazon.com/Saniderm-Protection-Transparent-Waterproof-Latex-Free/dp/B0765F2PKT/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=tegaderm%2Broll&qid=1701750165&sr=8-17&th=1

a roll of it 10" wide for tattoo covering so a tattoo will heal probably have to cut it by hand but at least I will be able to airbrush this jacket.  

Thank You! 

Don 

1000034634.jpg

1000034636.jpg

Film1000034637.jpg

Film1000034637.jpg

So no replies, I was able to make a stencil out of this material because it is available in a roll.  I had to modify it to make it work and cut. 

Glad that you were able to McGyver a solution for yourself.  Tegaderm is not cheap, and because it's intended use is in the medical community, it tends to be pricey.  I always have some at home, but use it only when necessary.  Unfortunately because it's crazy thin, I think trying to use it with a cutter (and carrier sheet) would be problematic to weed and apply.  I would be curious to see how you ended up using it for your application, and the process you used.