MattS

Lift on certain vinyls

Do different vinyls have different problems lifting.  I got some Avery A7 that I am having a HARD time with lifting.  I got some 641 to try but haven't yet.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced trying different vinyls and noticed some lifting and some not on the same design.

Matt

Do different vinyls have different problems lifting.  I got some Avery A7 that I am having a HARD time with lifting.  I got some 641 to try but haven't yet.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced trying different vinyls and noticed some lifting and some not on the same design.

Matt

Yeah, I've noticed that Oracal 651 doesn't lift for me, while some others do, when dealing with smaller or finer detailed cutting.

Guest Terry

Yes some do... some are silicone backing, some are easy release etc....Thats why you need a system, your Transfer tape needs to be the correct tack for for vinyl release backing.

Terry, are you talking about the decal after or during application?  I should have worded that different.  I am talking about the vinyl lifting while cutting.

Guest Terry

Yes, certain vinyl is silicone or easy realease, so small text can lift if your speed is high when cutting. And low tack transfer tape does not stick well to that type of liner, it curls up on the ends.

Guest Terry

Just as a test to see if your software and cutter is dialed in.... Drag a star out in different sizes, cut them and see if the tips are pointed nice, or if they hook a bit to left or right. If they do hook... any vinyl will lift... your not dialed in.

Hey Terry can you expand a little on "dialed in" whats that mean and whats the fix if your not dialed in?

I believe what Terry means by dialed in, is after testing and adjusting computer and plotter settings and finding the combination that works the best. Once you find the settings that work you're dialed in. Settings change with different types and brands of vinyl and need to be adjusted as needed. I'd rather waste a foot of vinyl dialing in settings than waste an entire job.