Sign in to follow this  
CyberSultan

Outline Question

I'm trying to create smooth (or rounded join) outlines around text in SBE, but the "Expand" option does not give me the choice to change the join type.  So the outline around my text looks pretty jagged in certain spots (since it is trying to match the outline perfectly to the contour of every letter...instead of a more smooth, bubble-type look).  Anyway to easily do what I need in SBE?  Trying to make SBE work as this is something I will need often.

I'm playing around with a Flexi demo I got (turned out to be a 90-day demo), and their outline function is excellent (simple and quick with different join types).  Anyone that has FlexiStarter know if the Outline function is available in that version (my demo doesn't include FlexiStarter)?

Guest gracewriter

I think I know what you are talking about and I I've done it in SBE.   I'm trying to recreate it right now.  If I can remember how to do it, I'll be right back.

Sorry, don't think I can help.  Got it to smoothe out somewhat with the shadow feature.  But I think the way I got it to do what I think you are asking was by using a "bubble" font.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly.

Thanks gracewriter for looking and testing.  :o

The way I have to do it right now is a round-about way in Illy (not a one-click type solution).  I would prefer to not have to use an external program for things like this that should be simple (that I would think would be standard in a cutting software package - the flexibility in the feature, I mean).  Obviously the creators of Flexi know of this need.  They did a good job with theirs (if only their software was a little cheaper).  Maybe the developers of SBE can take a look at this for an upgrade?  Maybe a feature request page should be started in the forum, assuming someone from the company wanted something like that and visited the forum somewhat regularly.

The HotShot version of SignBlazer has a "Rounded Corner" feature that sounds like what you are looking for. Once you have outlined your text it will let you round corners at a specified radius.

Where did you get your demo?

I originally posted that here:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,5685.msg36816.html#msg36816

The demo ended up being for 90-days (if you think of days in terms of 8 hours of working with it per day...as they set me up with 720 hours of testing time with the software).  I was originally looking to test Flexistarter, but this demo allows me to test all versions of Flexi except for Flexistarter. :o  It's pretty slick how it lets you quickly switch which version you are running so that you can test the different levels.  I just wish FlexiLetter 8.5 was cheaper than it is, as I found that version is all I really need.  BTW, this is a full-working demo (no limitations on functionality).

Guest Terry

Nothing comes even close to Flexi, except Gerber Omega. Most problems I see with cuts not closing can be fixed in Flexi... It has over cut.