Vermonster

Anyone Here Do Any Sandblasting?

I was just curious.  Does anyone else around here sandblast?  I had a whole set up that I got rid of when I offloaded my cutters, but now that I'm going to get back into the swing of things with a new plotter, I'm thinking of building my own sandblasting cabinet. 

I had a stand up cabinet with a pressure pot but I'm thinking of going simple.  I still have a compressor and a gun that holds a few pounds of grit, so I was thinking of making a little cabinet for what little I'd do.

Neat stuff for those who've never messed with it.  I started out using scrap vinyl, but learned how nice Paintmask was REALLY quick ;D  Here are some pics to give those who've not ventured out an idea... I've blasted Wood, Slate, Beer Mugs, Picture Frames etc.  You can use Rub & Buff (Michaels/AC Moore) to color in the etching silver, gold, red, black, etc etc  Really sharp looking stuff that's unique looking.  Yeah, I think once I get my new plotter I'll start blasting again, just gotta figure out how to build a cheap cabinet to blast in... Hmmmm

post-2505-12986519947888_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519948104_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519948408_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519948558_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519957094_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519957188_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519957277_thumb.jpg

post-2505-12986519957366_thumb.jpg

Yes I have done red cedar, the high dollar stuff.

I have also done the stuff you do but couldn't make any money at it.

I still have several sheets of 8.5 x 11 sandblast material  tucked away. what you give me for it?

Guest gracewriter

Nice work, looks like fun!  I had a friend who did sandblasting here in South Florida. He did giant murals in glass for yachts, restaurants, the wealthier homes, etc.  He was in quite high demand.  He did very well.

Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago. Sure wish I had known about plotters before he died..  I'd like to one day learn how to do this.

Thanks for sharing your pics.  quite beautiful.

sandblast material?  What's that?  ;D  Just kiddin...

I've only ever used scrap vinyl or paint mask.  When I was younger, I worked in a Cedar Sandblast sign shop and had my fill of that.

Thanks Grace.  It's really not that difficult.  First thing I blasted was a glass I was fooling around with. Bought some a sandblasting kit from Michaels just goofing around and quickly got hooked.  2 Days later I had a compressor, blasting cabinet, pressure pot and an aggrevated wife  ;D

It is hard to market though.  I did full wine bottles for weddings, but most of what I did were those beer mugs.  Fast sellers at the holidays!!  Great for the people who have someone on their list who has everything  :thumbsup:

I've been sandblasting for years.  Mostly glass, but also some stone, tile, and wood.  Can't believe I waited so long to buy a vinyl cutter!  The cutter has increased my productivity tremendously.

You can get sandblaster parts and kits from TP Tools... they also have small blast cabinets as well as Harbor Freight

Good lookin work.  I have been getting into sandblasting more and more.  Its taking over my vinyl biz.  Couldn't do it with out my USCutter.

Guest gracewriter

dumb question, do they sand blast on wood?  I think I read somewhere about that.

If I bring home another tool or kit, (which this sandblasting thing sounds like a blast-pun intended) , I'll have to sneak it int he back door and use it late at night...or he's gonna kill me :o

you can definitely blast on wood.  Depending on how deep you want to go and how intricate, you might be better off with something like real sandblast matting.  I want to say it's about the thickness (roughly) of magnetic material and a bit more expensive than doing something that etches easily...like glass.  It's also referred to as "resist"

Good place to read up and see some SERIOUS artwork..

cuttingedgesandcarving.com forums.  Those are some SERIOUSLY talented people who do multi-stage where it gives 3 dimensional look to it.  Toss in some LED's and you have a few hundred dollar piece of artwork.

VERY talented people over there when it comes to blasting...and knowledgeable too!!

hi there steve nice work  ive been sand blasting mirrors and glass for about 1 yr or so now been alot of fun and now i bought a pcutter and wow holly cow it is intersting now that i can make my own stencils in stead of having to buy the ones at the store or triing to special order them and takes months  to get but i am very interested in sand blasting and all of the stuff i can do with the pcutter machien very intersting wow

Nice work. I bought my cutter to tinker, with no intention of actually getting into the "sign" business. The lil' critter is so versatile and there are a billion things that can be done with one that are far removed from signage. Sand blasting is another fine example ...

Absolutely.  It makes it a worth while investment even if you're not going to be doing commercial type stuff. 

My kids always have the BEST book covers :o

What?  School project?  BRING IT ON!!

Ran out of packing tape? 

Wanna get a job or two??  I have a box that I put all my scraps in and every few months I donate them to my kids school.  They love them for crafts and stuff.  I've gotten some business from the school (mainly PTA stuff because I didn't really push the issue with them) from donating scraps (that I would have thrown away).

Save the earth, help the school, get some exposure -  Win Win

Guest crshirts

I use to do some. May get back into it now i have cutter to make stencils.

Lots of fun but hard to get money back on most of it.

Carl

post-0-1298652023518_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986520239747_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986520256433_thumb.jpg

post-0-12986520256565_thumb.jpg

Carl, Nice .. really nice. I know this would prolly take a book to tell, how did you get all of the definition in the mirrors?

Guest crshirts

just different depths in 1/4" plate glass used 8 mil vinyl and pressure pot to blast with and low pressure.

carl

Nice stuff Carl.

There are some templates out there that you cut and number but don't weed it all.  You blast say #1.  Then at once point in the process, you remove the resist that is labeled #2 and blast 1 along with 2 so 1 goes deeper etc etc. 

What Carl does is really an art.  Knowing how long to hold at a spot, how far to hold from the piece, and not having your back give out...all show true talent!!

Guest crshirts

I used a place called rayzist, do a search and they will come up.

They have hundreds and can also have your design made into one with there photo process

carl