Benr98

Best graphic software for a teen to start with?

I know everyone has their favorite software for graphics.  But I have a daughter who loves to tinker with creating her own designs and she's pretty darn good at it.  She mainly uses Paint Shop Pro.  Can anyone recommend a software that would be good to use other than PSP??  I want to encourage her desire to create new designs.  She is 14 but quite knowledgeable and basically self taught. 

Thanks

Jenny

My daughter is 15. She started out on Fireworks when she was 11. It is similar to Illustrator. She started with Neopets, an online web community creating avatars and sigs for other neopeans. (That probably doesn't make sense to most people) She has thousands of designs she has done. When I need help with Illustrator or Fireworks I ask her.

It's amazing how fast these kids can grasp computers and software.  I ask my daughter all the time for help..LOL. My daughter has created avatars and yes I've heard of neopeans.  I haven't heard of Fireworks, I'll have to check that out. 

Thanks for the link Popeye, I'm definitely going to check that out as well.

I'm just looking at something that isn't overwhelming, but yet not to restricting either.

Jenny

Guest Terry

Well those are fine, but if your trying to interest her for like future knowledge for jobs.... There are two industries standards. Adobe Illustrator CS and Corel, and Photoshop would be a part of them. Trust me I have 30 years as a living. or you can ask Joecamaro. But those are the two of the work force to understand. Should get her a Graphire Tablet also from Wacom. But if she is just playing around there are hundreds of different ones.But why not learn the two that can help you in the future.

Fireworks used to be made by Macromedia (Makers of Flash Player) but I see it is included in my Adobe CS3 Master Collection. Adobe must have bought them out. I agree with Terry. Most of the programs are very similar so that if you learn one, the rest are easy to pick up. I just have to figure out that first one though. Oh well, that's what I have my daughter for.

Guest Terry

I should have said.... InDesign CS

WOW when is the price of some of this software going to come down??  I'm sure not for quite some time.

I appreciate everyone's help with this...thanks

Jenny

Jenny, even Inkscape would be a good software to begin with. It works similar to Illustrator or Corel with the layers and other features. It would be a good one to learn on and the price is right. The way everything works is similar to the big softwares so she could understand the methodology and apply that to either.

Jay, thanks.....I'll definitely consider that option as well.  I just didn't want her to get to frustrated.....but I'm sure I could even find some tutorials.

Jenny

Guest Terry

Jenny, even Inkscape would be a good software to begin with. It works similar to Illustrator or Corel with the layers and other features. It would be a good one to learn on and the price is right. The way everything works is similar to the big softwares so she could understand the methodology and apply that to either.

Jay, you didn't pay for Inkscape did you? I know it is being sold by some.  :angel:

Jay, you didn't pay for Inkscape did you? I know it is being sold by some.  :angel:

No, I'm too cheap to pay for anything.

Jenny's daughter DOES great artworks! I've seen a few and they have nothing to envy to professional designers. I have seen designs I wouldnt have thought of and Im not kidding.

Jenny, it would be great if she learned a vector-based software such as Illustrator or better yet Inkscape (as it is free). If she learned that then she could take advantage of your cutter and make decals and t shirts easily. Using raster-based siftwares such as Photoshop or PSP she can use them for silkscreening or transfers.

I would go for Illustrator, even an old copy. There are many tutorials online.  I like www.pixel2life.com

Good luck.

Joe

This is what I recommend:

Get an old copy of Illustrator (a legal one)

Go to adobe.com and register.

Update the old version to one of the latest, maybe cs1 or cs2 or even cs3.

That is way cheaper than buying a newer version @ nce.

JC

Well I can't thank you all enough for your advice.....I see most of the 'regulars' responded with their expertise!! THANK YOU.

Five, I've tried to buy from there before with no luck.  I homeschool Sarah and even though I filled out the proper paperwork they never got back to me!!  :-

Thanks again you guys are the BEST!!

Jenny

I really never ventured into vector art before getting my cutter back in November (outside of the CAD). Now I see the lite idea.gif and try to most stuff in AI if I can. I'm more versed in PhotoShop and Fireworks because it's the fastest means for me to prep raster images for web design.

Jenny, is your daughter on PC of Mac? Which operating system is she using?

Jay, Adobe acquired Macromedia a while back. Now everything is starting merge. At least Adobe didn't fuss around too much with the apps that Macromedia had branded and distributed globally. Basically Adobe engulfed probably their closest competitors.

Haumana, she is using a PC, she said as soon as we win the lottery, we can buy her a laptop of her very own!!  :)

Jenny

Sent you a PM .... or at least I thought I did  :)