Sign in to follow this  
GarciaGraphix

Proud New Owner of LaserPoint Plotter

Hi Everyone!

I recently won a LaserPoint Plotter on eBay at a great price and I must say that this is one of my best buys on ebay ever.  I had no problems pluging and installing everything and started cutting right away.  Excellent machine!! Great Job US Cutters!!

I am an accountant by day and vinyl is just a small hobby of mine (profitable one too!!).  I have been using my uncle's Roland GX24 but I wanted something of my own and for the price, the Laserpoint fit the bill.  Already had a couple of jobs with it too and I can't tell the difference between something cut on the Roland or the LP.  I will post some pics soon.

SignBlazer is a bit of a pain to get used to, but I am learning quick.  I wish the computer would recognize the LP Plotter as a printer so that I could use the Roland Cut Studio that I am used to, but it seems like that is not possible.  I just started using Inkscape thanks to these forums and love it!!

Thanks Again US Cutter and the forums!!

Ed

Welcome Ed and thanks for giving us all the update on how well the whole setup worked for you.  I'm sure you will do well.  You've already discovered the BEST forum ever, with the best bunch of people you want to meet.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Jenny

Welcome!!! wooohoo!! grats on the LaserPoint I have a 24" and I LOVE it... I have no idea what Roland Cut Studio looks like but I imagine it has to be great. You could hook up the cutter via serial and set it up as a printer that way... come to think of it you could probably do it with USB, but Im too oldschool to figure that out..

lol

WAyne

Welcome to this great gaggle of guys and gals committed to vinyl art! And, more specifically to laser contour cutting. You are gonna love your machine.

I recommend that if you have a serial port you use the serial to serial connection. You will see a lot of stuff on here about the USB/Serial connections. Straight USB and these puppies don't wanna cooperate just right, I had some probbies with a converter I bought and then  I threw a 100' (YES 100', all I had laying around the shop and didn't feel like making a new one') serial to serial on it. Cuts like a charm, dialed it in and it cuts within about 1/32 in all axis.

I use SignCut and like the flexibility it gives me over SBE.

Guest fivestar

Welcome Ed, congrats on your purchase.  A little "comparison" between the LP and GX24 would be a nice thing.  :police:

Ed, Yep a little comparison between the LP and the GX would be nice, especially if you have done any contour cutting with the GX.

I, like you, wish that the LP was recognized as a printer. That is the only thing wrong with the machine as far as I am concerned, I'd love to be able to cut from corel directly.

I am using SignCut and like it. Very simple to use and flexible.

Thank you all for your warm welcomes and tips!!  I will definately try to use just a serial connection to see if that works.  I will also do a nice little comparison write up between the Roland and the LP when I get a chance (at work right now  :police:).

Thanks Again!

Ed