arab

NOTEBOOK CARD TO SERIAL PORT

Hi,i just recieved my new mh1351 the other day and love it.I have a question though.the cutter works perfect on my laptop through serial port but wy wifes laptop doesnt have a serial port only usb.I tried using the usb cable that came with the cutter and keep getting (cant commonicate with cutter)and i just dont want to mess with it no more.My question is has anyone tried one of those laptop cards that have a serial port connection.If so any problems running the cutter this way.thanks

stan :chopper: :chopper: :chopper: :chopper:

I have not ran a plotter thru a PCMCIA card to SERIAL converter... I would try the USB some more...

Did you download the latest drivers for the USB emulator?

As Tater stated, the newest USB drivers would be my best suggestion. They seem to solve alot of communication issues when using USB.

Thanks guys for your input.ok i'm trying the usb again.iI downloaded the driver from us cutter site.It says it installed succesfully but when i plug the cable in it tries to install new hardware and says it cant find the driver.Just for the heck of it i hooked everything up and tried to cut something and on any of the plotter settings it says cant communicate with cutter,except when i set it to com3 then it does nothing.i am probably overlooking something but at this point i am lost.

p.s.when i try using the usb on the laptop that works with serial port it does the same thing.thanks again for your help

stan :)

Here is how i set up my refine machine.

I couldnt use the LPT port due to a 32 inch plotter there, and the serial was in use by a 24 inch plotter, and neither one of those supported USB, so that is one of the main reasons why i purchased the refine cutter.

I dont know if this is the correct way to do it or not, but it worked for me.

I plugged everything in, and plugged in my machine and powered it up.  I got the box to install the hardware, i inserted the lil CD that came with the machine and set it to look for the driver there.  After a few seconds it installed... However, Still no communication from signcut to the plotter.

I opened up signcut and clicked the settings at the top, then clicked cutter, it said com1 as the device, to verify, i went into the device manager, (right click on my computer icon, select properties, then the hardware tab, then device manager) I clicked the little plus next to Ports to expand the group then double clicked on the USB Serial adapter.  Then clicked on port settings, then the advanced button, Here you can change it to whatever port you want, as long as that port was in use.  Com ports 2 and 3 were in use, and in sign cut, it was only showing a com port avaliabe on com1... but windows installed the USB serial converter to COM4, so i set the plotter to com1, clicked ok, and tried cutting again, it worked.

Maybe this is your issue... Maybe not, But it might be worth a shot to look into it.

You just got to make sure that your software (signcut) is trying to communicate thru the same port which the USB was installed on...

When you goto device manager, and select on ports, it should say in paranthesis () what com port shes running on, and if it is avaliable in sign cut, just change it there, alot easier...

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply tater.i feel kind of stupid ,i should have mentioned that im using winpcsignpro .but with your input im going to try your suggestions tommorrow.thanks again

Ahhhhhh, WinPC, My Specialty...

Follow the same directions for the device manager.  check winpcsign, goto settings, then plotter codes.

If your Refine isnt showing up under active plotters, click add/remove.

highlight your refine model on the left, click the arrow to put in on the right, click ok... select the refine under active plotters, and then be sure that the port (right below) matches the one in the device manager. click accept/save and you should be in business...

Hope this helps.

HI, Tater i cant begin to tell you how happy i am.I used your advice and it worked flawlessly,not only on 1 but 3 different computers.I hope someday i can return the favor.