Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

Weeding

Just curious if other people are able to weed this easily?!?!

I only wish!!!!

"

Guest fivestar

I can probably weed faster then that, but I don't use tweezers, I use a pick tool.

If that's the case... I guess I need to do some fine tuning on my cutter. Just about every letter/number I cut doesn't close by about .25mm to .5mm

Doesn't sound like much but when I'm cutting 1/4" to 1/2" font... that's a huge gap.

i recently bought some 10 year vinyl that weeds like that. but i would imagine your design, whatever it may be must be clean also.

bb 

If that's the case... I guess I need to do some fine tuning on my cutter. Just about every letter/number I cut doesn't close by about .25mm to .5mm

Doesn't sound like much but when I'm cutting 1/4" to 1/2" font... that's a huge gap.

Firemalt Im in the same boat, maybe not that far off, but far enough off to piss me off!

wayne

I find sometimes it's the vinyl too.  Vinyl for t-shirts is a dream to weed in my opinion.  But some of my oracal 651 isn't bad either...definitely depends too on how your cutter is cutting.

Jenny

I've had a few that were that easy. Anyone who expects ALL vinyl to weed that easily or that fast is living in a fantasy world. I  often go through  50 yard rolls of vinyl a day. Very seldom see any that weeds that easily.

Of course, when you make a video, you don't post the ones that everything doesn't come out right.

50 yards a day??  Geez John.....you must be racking in the cash!!  I think we've gone thru MAYBE that much since December!  :-

I guess so Matt, if ya want to make the MONEY!!  :lol:

I have had good luck with the Oracal, every type I have tried. They always weed very easily. I have also used the Calon by Arlon and don't care for it. It is very rubbery and hard to weed. I have to up my pressure by 20 to 30 to get it to cut all the way through.

50 yards a day??  Geez John.....you must be racking in the cash!!  I think we've gone thru MAYBE that much since December!  :-

I do mostly banners. Banners take a lot of vinyl. One 3x10 banner with 4 lines of text will take about 12 yards by itself ( I use 12 inch vinyl for the smaller text,to cut down on waste) I make a living but most of it goes to doctors and the pharmacy.

John, I think that's wonderful that you are doing that good.  Sorry to hear most of it goes to doctors and prescriptions.  But it's encouraging for the rest of us. 

Jenny

I've always said that if I can do it,anybody can. If I had discovered this line of work 10 years ago when my health was still reasonably good, I would be driving a Jaguar now and taking my winters in The Virgin Islands.

I think the thing for me is finding businesses that want the banners.  But than again I guess I need to go out there and ASK...LOL

I think the thing for me is finding businesses that want the banners.  But than again I guess I need to go out there and ASK...LOL

the thing is,you want to convince them that they NEED the banners. Around here, I can do a banner that costs less than one 30 second radio commercial...or one classified ad for one week. Everyone sees it who drives by,it will last for months if not years... SIGNS SELL! is my mantra. This has always been true,back to the 15th century when Europe was crawling with guys who did nothing but go from town to town painting tavern signs.(pictures,mostly...many people couldn't read in those days) People judged the quality of the tavern by the quality of the sign.

Example.... I did a small banner for a concession guy...'ice cold bottled water'. The banner didn't gert to him until the second day of a show he was doing. He told me that after he out up the banner,he was selling as much water every HOUR as he had sold the entire previous day.

Hmmmm...that gets me thinking.  There are some side walk sales coming in the next month or two..sounds like I need to get the word out that SIGNS SELL!!  :lol:  Banners do have a tendency to grab peoples attention.  How cool about that vendor and how his water sales went UP!! Thanks for once again sharing your words of wisdom....they're priceless!!

Jenny

why do you think that every where you shop.there are racks of junk right where you stand in the line to pay? People are impulse buyers. If they are walking by a stand and they are thirsty,and see a big,nice sign that says 'ice cold bottled water'...they will usually stop and buy. I always do signs like that in the 'snowcap tops' font.In blue. people associate blue with cold. They see the snow on the top of the letters...product sold.

anyone can learn how to make a sign...it's all about learning how to SELL a sign. Like everything...it's marketing.