Sign in to follow this  
haumana

What and when to use

I wanted to know what to use and when to use it. When should I be using cast vinyl and when should I be using calendared vinyl?

Here are the various applications that I've been asked to do stuff for ...

• vehicle glass windows
  • vehicle body (paint on metal or fiberglass)
  • other vinyl (spare tire cover)
  • metal substrate (signs)
  • colorplast (now that I know what it is)
  • indoor/outdoor walls (glossy, semi-gloss, and satin finishes)
  • fiberglass (marine use)

I'm sure there are a few others that I cannot think of at the moment. I just wanted to ask the experts. If I had a heat press, then I'd be asking about that stuff too  B)

I been using Oracal 651(calendar) on everything(i.e. vehicles glass & metal, store fronts, metal signs, multiple types of other surfaces). The only thing I plan on using Oracal 851(cast) on is trailers and boats.

Why switch to cast for trailers and boats? (not trying to be sarcastic, just really want to know)  B)

Rivets on trailers, and the enviroment the vinyl is put through on boats(saltwater).

doh1.gif I knew there was a method to the madness bowdown.gif

I will do my best to commit it to memory 2thumbup.gif

I use cast for everything.

Vinyl is cheap.

Plus, if I double my inventory then I have twice as much money sitting on my shelf not being used.  If I keep it simple (since I'm small) and keep half as much money on the shelf I have more in my pocket.

So nothing but cast (most 751).

If I had the stuff flying out the door all day long I might decide what's the cheapest stuff I can use for this job, but I'd rather just have one roll per color laying around.

Plus, if I double my inventory then I have twice as much money sitting on my shelf not being used.  If I keep it simple (since I'm small) and keep half as much money on the shelf I have more in my pocket.

Good point, but why wear a tux to eat Luby's? As you said vinyl is cheap, but why cause extra overhead in supplies? Out of everything you done, how many jobs actually need "cast" vinyl? Maybe 10%, if that?

I keep a stock of Oracal 651... if I have a customer/job that calls for a cast vinyl, the additional material cost is added into the quote.

ok here we go. why cast? why calendered? what's the difference?

I knew it, lol... here's a few older threads I was able to find on the subjectm but I knew there are MORE.  B)

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,5470.0.html

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,210.0.html

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,4444.0.html

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,3522.0.html

I think we should setup one thread that answers the cast vs. calendared, and more info about heat press vinyl stuff and make it a sticky! Then I wouldn't be asking questions that maybe, kinda sorta answered my questions  B)

Good point, but why wear a tux to eat Luby's? As you said vinyl is cheap, but why cause extra overhead in supplies? Out of everything you done, how many jobs actually need "cast" vinyl? Maybe 10%, if that?

I keep a stock of Oracal 651... if I have a customer/job that calls for a cast vinyl, the additional material cost is added into the quote.

Because I've learnt that quality doesn't cost, it pays.

Besides, we all now that customers always think it's temporary and it turns out they keep it forever.

Give the customer the option.  If their willing to pay for the premium then so be it. I've not had a customer come back and say they bought the wrong vinyl in over 20 years. I's a judgment call. Don't give them what they ask for, give them what they want.