Shellylue

Frustrated

Hi!  Total newbie here, coming from the Cameo to the MH-871.  I am playing around trying to learn the VinylMaster 4.0 software and for the life of me cannot figure out how to ungroup text.  Say for instance I have the word "Welcome" in Samantha Font and want to change the W to a special Character, I will need to ungroup the word to replace the W.  

Can someone help?  I am at my wits end....thanks!

I have the 4.0 but I don't know if what you want to do can be done.

I just type the first part of the word, change the text for the W and then go back to the other text to finish the word.

Then you can weld them together once you have it to your liking.

I'm off to experiment now.

FYI, I'm pretty new myself :)  Just keep playing with it, you'll get it, I learn something every time I use it.

OK, I just went in and typed out my name, then I used the weld- combine- break apart feature, I had to combine it first, then break it apart, remove the V and substitute a different V then use the combine again. Seems to work. Good luck, ymmv.

Sure, Click on the the Object tool (circled in red on the left) and then

select the text you wish to un-group. Click the Convert to Curves icon (circled on the right)

or select it from the menu under Curves>Convert to Curves (Ctrl+Q)

Next, Click the Un-Group Icon (circled at top of second image) or Arrange>Ungroup (Ctrl + U)

Now (after Deselecting & Re-Selecting) you can select the letters individually and

move around or delete, modify, etc. you can click and drag and re- group combinations of letters together to make the words easier to work with.

MoonShine_01.jpg

Moonie2.jpg

• Like 3

Keep in mind, once you do this, the letters are no longer letters, but rather shapes, and as such can not be edited using the text tool.

• Like 2

Sure, there's generally more than one way to skin a cat. You can type out your text and leave space where you wish to add a special letter or image, as I did with "MoonShine" in the previous examples. You can also break the word up into separate 'Words', like

"Moon" & "hine" and make a separate "S", to manipulate it. Or "M" & "nShine" and put an image of eyes or skulls in between.

Another thing I often do when working with text is keep a duplicate of the text I'm working with in 'Text' form. If, after converting it to Curves, I need to go back and do something differently, I have a previous 'back copy' sitting right off to the side.

Most of this is pretty rudimentary stuff that you naturally pick up from working with Text over and over. Usually one method of doing something with have benefits over another, depending upon the desired results. Knowing the alternatives and choosing the correct technique comes with familiarity of the job and software.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, skarekrow said:

Sure, there's generally more than one way to skin a cat. You can type out your text and leave space where you wish to add a special letter or image, as I did with "MoonShine" in the previous examples. You can also break the word up into separate 'Words', like

"Moon" & "hine" and make a separate "S", to manipulate it. Or "M" & "nShine" and put an image of eyes or skulls in between.

Another thing I often do when working with text is keep a duplicate of the text I'm working with in 'Text' form. If, after converting it to Curves, I need to go back and do something differently, I have a previous copy sitting right off to the side.

Most of this is pretty rudimentary stuff that you naturally pick up from working with Text over and over. Usually one method of doing something with have benefits over another, depending upon the desired results. Knowing the alternatives and choosing the correct technique comes with familiarity of the job and software.

That is the way I have done it. Works fine and is simple if you want to change the font.