Sign in to follow this  
cutme

inkjet direct to garment printing

Yup

I have seen those and I would like to get one of them, but they are expensive as hell  ;D, plus their technology is not at its best yet. I have read a lot about them and there are many complains about the printing heads getting damaged and blocked and stuff.

I would like to get one though (later on) specially with white ink printing capabilities. It would be so nice to be able to offer low quantity full color prints. People love custom stuff.

I have 2 dtg shirts and they have been washed many many times and colors still look very good.

I think I have to wait till they get better technology  (and till I get rich  ;D )

I had almost bought one a couple years ago, just before they came out with the ones that can print on dark garments.  I too will wait until they work the 'bugs' out and I get a bit more money in savings!!  ;D

Jenny

You can buy those puppies used all over the place, there seems to be no middle ground. Folks either love them or they hate them, they either work or they don't.

The best option for doing this kind of work is still transfer and heat press. For a huge number of reasons, not the least being curing. The direct-to-garment still use water based inks and water based is very tricky with extremely tight parameters .. everything has to be exactly right or it won't cure properly. Coverage is another problem, owners report having to print shirts 2 or more time to get them bright.

There are many inks on the market for grament printing, mostly using epson printers, (not talking about sublimation) that will allow you to perform exceptional work with a limited budget, and be profitable. Matter o' fact, I have used standard epson inks and have shirts that I did 6 and 7 years ago with inkjet transfers that still look good.

Lasers are coming into the market strong, with OKIDATA leading the pack. The OKI will produces some of the brightest and long lasting t-shirt transfers going, with STOCK OEM toner. And, they have just introduced a 11x17 using the 5000 series engine that opens that door even more.

Matter o' fact, I have used standard epson inks and have shirts that I did 6 and 7 years ago with inkjet transfers that still look good.

What brand of transfers is that? OKI? WOW

i almost got a dtg printer, financed of course. but with all the problems that they had i said no. that's when i discoverd Imagineclip. i looks and last longer than dtg. it's also brighter and the washabilty is phenomenal. although it's only for light colors it has worked outstounding for us. people love them and once u master the steps u will too. people don't know the difference and we don't offer any information. they really don't care they just wont a nice looking shirt, and if u can offer full color at one price versus price per color they r going to go for it.

www.neenah.com/technical/product.aspx?app_id=50&prod_id=33&level=4

i don't know if this link works, i will follow with another. because i don't know how to post links ;D

u do have to be careful where u purchase it from. i get mine from coastal business supplies or the paper ranch.

conde also sells it. the reason being i have purchased some from from southeast specialty supply and it was bad because if not properly stored it doen't work. the guy was rude and didn't care. lost 150 bucks but learned a lesson.

Ok thanx. I will need to get a printer... I dont have one  ;D  I broke it about 2 years ago and never got another.

JC

Epson 1400's currently sell for about $250 on eBay, refurbed. I bought one a few weeks ago and am using aftermarket claria inks, and it works perfect. Anybody want imageclip I can supply ya, as well I have a dark paper that has been tested overseas and not sold here yet, I bought stock from neenah in the A4 size and just had them cut me 11x17. The imageclip works great for numerous things, but it is a 2 step process. And, it does not like clamshell presses. It will work with them, but needs tender loving care.

Epson 1400's currently sell for about $250 on eBay, refurbed. I bought one a few weeks ago and am using aftermarket claria inks, and it works perfect. Anybody want imageclip I can supply ya, as well I have a dark paper that has been tested overseas and not sold here yet, I bought stock from neenah in the A4 size and just had them cut me 11x17. The imageclip works great for numerous things, but it is a 2 step process. And, it does not like clamshell presses. It will work with them, but needs tender loving care.

i totally disagree, i own two clamshell and has never had a problem with using this paper with them. it's all about the temp time and pressure. when u learn the product u will be okay. again i have never had a problem using imageclip with my presses. yes it's 2 two step and worth it with the quality that it produces.

the steps r not a problem once u learn to use it. it really doesn't matter. i have had long time screenprinting friends that were amazed at the quality and process and have actually started using it in thier establishments versus trying to purchase the overpriced machines from hell. ;D

Not arguing with you. But Neenah will tell you that clamshells have problems with imageclip. I have some friends who use clamshells and they manage to make it work, but you do have to pay a lot of attention to dwell and temp, as you said. I would not advise anybody to buy a whole bundle of imageclip without testing it with their press first.

And, if not satisfied at first it is worth dialing in and finding out exactly what you need to do to make it work with your press. Even pressure is the key to Image Clip working properly, and that is the hardest think to get with a clam shell. The basic design does not allow it to do 2 things 1) apply even pressure 2) apply HEAVY pressure. Not just my opinion, but fact.

There are a lot of good clamshells, but for every good one there are 5 bad ones. Check out the models being sold on eBay as an example. Many put together very shabby. You get what you pay for when it comes to equipment, sometimes you get a lot more, but that is not very often.

And, yes the 2d step is well worth the effort. I use it, I also am a reseller of Image Clip. Small time, but a reseller nonetheless. And I use it on ALL of my lights and whites. I have not found a better paper in 25+ years in the shirt bidness, as a supplier member of ASI.

I'm glad your clamshells work for you. And from the looks of the work you have displayed here you have learned your craft well, and are much further advanced than a lot of folks I know who've been in the bidness much longer than you have.

Continued success to you!

Does Imageclip work well with the Oki?? I know you may have said, but I didn't have a chance to read this whole thread.

Jenny

hey jenny,

from my understanding yes it does but u really have to tweak settings in some laser printer. i have used it with lexmark, ricoh and hps.

but i heard a lot of people using it with oki, i think the majority does use it with the oki. let me know if i can help in anyway.

Hi nonabelle, I have an older Oki the 5200 Series and I was just wondering how it would work with that??  I have an Epson but I have dye sub inks hooked to it.

Jenny

The image clip works perfectly with all OKI LED's ie: 3000-5000 series. They are perfect matches.

Hi nonabelle, I have an older Oki the 5200 Series and I was just wondering how it would work with that??  I have an Epson but I have dye sub inks hooked to it.

Jenny

hey jenny, i have heard of people using the okis most models and even older printers like tektronics and so on. coastal business will send u samples to try it out . or rebj, being a distributor may send u samples to try out. there is a learning curve as with any produce but once u get it u get it. i have had customers to come in order shirts in full color, gave me free roam on design with their ideas and with in 3-4 hours were wearing thier full color tees this is like an order of fifteen pursay. u will love it. check out my site and click on a few of our designs tab on left and watch the slide. all of the full color was done with this process. www.afterfiveprinting.com

Jenny,

So as not to confuse, when I said the 3-5000 series, specifically Image Clip does work with the 5200. I run it in a 5100, 5200, and a 3200 without a hitch.

One of the reasons that OKI is so popular (not just with image clip but with all papers) is the glossy toner that they use. It creates a much more vivid print than any other printer on the market.

After market toners work well, also, at a lot less money, just be sure to buy the "glossy" toner if you want to get the same results and bright shiny paper print.

Not arguing with you. But Neenah will tell you that clamshells have problems with imageclip. I have some friends who use clamshells and they manage to make it work, but you do have to pay a lot of attention to dwell and temp, as you said. I would not advise anybody to buy a whole bundle of imageclip without testing it with their press first.

And, if not satisfied at first it is worth dialing in and finding out exactly what you need to do to make it work with your press. Even pressure is the key to Image Clip working properly, and that is the hardest think to get with a clam shell. The basic design does not allow it to do 2 things 1) apply even pressure 2) apply HEAVY pressure. Not just my opinion, but fact.

There are a lot of good clamshells, but for every good one there are 5 bad ones. Check out the models being sold on eBay as an example. Many put together very shabby. You get what you pay for when it comes to equipment, sometimes you get a lot more, but that is not very often.

And, yes the 2d step is well worth the effort. I use it, I also am a reseller of Image Clip. Small time, but a reseller nonetheless. And I use it on ALL of my lights and whites. I have not found a better paper in 25+ years in the shirt bidness, as a supplier member of ASI.

I'm glad your clamshells work for you. And from the looks of the work you have displayed here you have learned your craft well, and are much further advanced than a lot of folks I know who've been in the bidness much longer than you have.

Continued success to you!

thank u, but when i first started using the reformulated imclip i called neenah also which suggested the press that i purchased a mighty press by stahls they did advise me to have a timer on it. i'm not saying what u state is untrue, but believe me i did a lot of research like a mad scientist before using, purchasing, or selling this process. yes there's some tweaking and patience needed but it's really not hard once u get it. it didn't take me long, but it did cost me about40.00 in trial paper before i really got it to perfection. every penny was well spent. i also had a lot of phone help from reps in the first couple of days but after that it was on. the wash test was done with us pouring bleach directly in the wash on clothing washing over and over my family thought we were crazy, but know they can highly recommend when a customer wants to order. i strive for perfection and if i don't like it iit's not for sale.

ur contiuned success also.