Sign in to follow this  
topcatfavors

Can the laserpoint cut 30 mil magnets?

I want to try to make custom football shaped magnets with vinyl applied for my local high school football team.  My local sign shop (Beacon Graphics in NJ) has 30mil in rolls and sheets.  I just bought my cutter so I am still learning how to use it.  can anyone tell me if it can handle 30mil magnets and if so, how would I set the blade so it would cut all the way through the magnet material?  is it a pressure adjustment or is there an adjustment on the blade?

Thanks,

Eric

I'm thinking that's a bit too thick, and could possibly burn up the cutter's motor?!?!

i would cut and apply decals, then cut them out by hand. but i wouldn't be interested in doing more than say ten.

bb

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess my best bet would be to make some sort of football shaped template that I could use to cut them out by hand after I apply the vinyl to them

Or ya can contact one of the refrigerator magnet manufacturers and get them to make them for you. I think Magnatel, the magnetic material folks, has a template program. Don't know what their minimums are. Here's a Google search for custom magnetic die cutting ..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=custom+die+cut+magnetic+material&btnG=Google+Search

Hope that helps ya out some.

that may be so, but i would avoid cutting a lot of material in the upper range because it could cause excessive wear and premature failure.

bb

With a 60degree blade and max downforce it should cut that material, but like others have mentioned, it would be harder on the cutter and parts such as the motors.

Plus cutting trough the whole material doesnt make much sense. It needs a backing to make stuff stay in place.

Joe

Plus cutting trough the whole material doesnt make much sense. It needs a backing to make stuff stay in place.

Joe

If you cut through the magnets even part way they usually will tear clean the rest of the way. Like the ribbons you buy have the center still in. I would try cutting half way through.

Joe

If you cut through the magnets even part way they usually will tear clean the rest of the way. Like the ribbons you buy have the center still in. I would try cutting half way through.

Yes, good suggestion. You can set the blade depth so that it cuts most of the way through, and the material should tear apart where it has been scored, and therefor make it less trying on the cutter itself.

Along these same lines, would it be advantageous to slow the speed down?

What is effect of changing the speed in offline mode?  Will this be the speed that it cuts in online as well?

Along these same lines, would it be advantageous to slow the speed down?

What is effect of changing the speed in offline mode?  Will this be the speed that it cuts in online as well?

Yes, the cut speed is the speed at which the cutter cuts. Slowing it down may help for the thicker material as well.

I'd be curious to know how long your LP last when you're cutting the magnets.

Even if you could cut all the way through, what about what Joe said ... "It needs a backing to make stuff stay in place." Doesn't that mean that there would be some kind of interference because of the material not adhering to a backing so that it just doesn't run amok?