Sign in to follow this  
castironrobbie

Cutspeed cutpress #'s question

I don't know what it is about today, but I am having trouble weeding my graphics. I lowered the blade so there is more exposed and I am running at cutspeed 30 cutpress 10. I read use lower numbers for more details, but I am having trouble pulling off the excess. Is there a guide to the types of graphics I am making, larger vs small more detailed?

Thanks everyone for helping out this newb

Which cutter are you using? I'm another newb running an MH 871 and the recommended starting point for mine was 500 speed, 100 pressure.

I've settled on 450 speed, 100-140 pressure depending on the vinyl. You numbers sound way low.

Which cutter are you using? I'm another newb running an MH 871 and the recommended starting point for mine was 500 speed, 100 pressure.

I've settled on 450 speed, 100-140 pressure depending on the vinyl. You numbers sound way low.

that is because every machine is different - even the mh has had several revisions over the years - a while back a chip change made the speed go from 100 on one machine to be the same as 500 pm another - both the same model number of mh but different chipset - 

people get too hung up on numbers and now figuring out how to find the best numbers for your particular machine - with any machine you set the blade depth using skeeters directions and then add force until it cuts properly - on speed - if it is messing up vinyl of letters you slow it down.   all that after you know you have a good sharp blade in the machine (seen too many people that try to use settings to fix a broken blade tip or using way too much blade because they read the 1/2 credit card thing that is just 10 times too much blade to begin with

numbers on a first gen mh will be different by a long shot than a newer mh - but even with the same machine there will be slight different setting
a graphtec titan, sc, roland. summa. lp1  lp2 etc all have different setting numbers - it is arbitrary and not a measurement of grams or any other measurement to scale the force

• Like 1

I too am using the mh 871. I've had so many problems with the vinyl falling off (see other thread) and the blade carved in the machine. I bet I did mess up the blade. Makes sense.

So the half a card thing is inaccurate?? Also who's skeeter?

Is speed important and for what?

from our friend skeeter

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

too fast on speed causes problems - too slow and some people get anxious  

The blade should barely be visible. It should cut thru the vinyl but only make an indentation on the backing sheet. Mz Skeeter has helped hundreds of people with this same problem.

If you cut into the strip and it has bumps and gouges you will most likely need to replace it. Any irregularities will cause variations in the cutting depth in those areas. You may cut into that backing in the high areas and not cut thru the vinyl in low areas.

You can also add some overcut in your software to help finish cuts. I would start small at .04 inch overcut and add more if needed. I think my old Mh721 needed .06 for best results.