Sign in to follow this  
Print Star

Flea markets or peddlers mall

has anyone had any luck or experience with either one? Was thinking of taking the Pcut to the flea market and setting up in a friends booth. Maybe make a sample board with some popular designs. Any stories or advice good or bad?

I havent done it but have been thinking about it for quite a long time.

Next Saturday I will be selling in one and sell them there. If I go there regularly I might take the cutter and do personalized stuff, that is a big hit, people crave for custom stuff.

Joe

I had suggested this in another thread a week or two ago... and someone mentioned that if people see how fast the decals can be made, that they may not be willing to pay as much.

I have seen people set up at fairs and doing well.  I could see flea markets doing better especially if you research prices in the area go a bit cheaper.

We have a twice a week flea market here. There are always at least two or three booths selling vinyl decals. Some have the cutter hiding in a van so they can do on-site custom stuff, while others will take names and numbers for custom requests. There are all different colors and graphic decal on colorplast boards. Ranges in price based on size (rather than difficulty/detail).

If you can keep secret how fast it really is to produce a decal, then people are willing to pay more if they think you "rushed" a custom job just for them.

I would say go for it. Colorplast doesn't cost that much, you'd probably spend more time and money trying to put up samples on it than anything else.

I have been thinking about flea markets for a while. I know there are people making a living in flea markets. I wishi I could do that, making in 2 days more than I make a week in my regular job. The question is, can a tshirt/decal maker do as much? I guess I will find out. I will be going to flea markets soon ;)

be careful what you sell...I know for a fact that in some of bigger cities, some companies send out people to look for knock-offs, and unlicensed merchandise. I had a friend who got caught by VW doing it. But VW is paranoid about such things,they guard those 2 letters very tightly.

Oh yeah John, you are right, but Im not planning on selling copyrighted stuff. I want to sell my designs (which by the way will make it harder, people always look for Jordan, Puma and stuff like that).

Anyways, here in PR you can go to flea markets and buy pirate cds and dvds just like that. It is insane.

Joe

I think the people here think that no corporate company will bother to come down and put a stop to copyright infringement. There are so many that sell company logo's, license characters (i.e. Mickey Mouse, Strawberry Shortcake, etc.), and that it's not limited to vinyl. It's images that are put on handmade blankets, drawn on tupperware containers, wall hangings, children's clothing, bags, backpacks, etc. Nothing is sacred here.

The cops only clamped down on bootlegged music once ... I always wondered why more people aren't getting busted for this stuff. Simply amazing.

I'm not creative by any means, so my "custom" work is usually limited to names, and squiggly stuff that my nieces and nephews draw... I'll scan it, then turn it into a decal for them. Comes in handy when they go on excursions with their class or if the class pick a "mascot" for themselves. My nephews mascot is a butterfly, so all the kids draw butterflies and the teacher picks one to represent the class. I scan and cut so each kid has the butterfly with their name and it goes on their cubby hole boxes. Not a paying job, but the looks on the kids faces when they see their name in a sticker is priceless (especially since a lot of the kids names now days are either really funky, or spelled funky).

I say cut a bunch of stuff that isn't copyrighted and see what kind of interest is generated from that. Even if it's only clever text stuff ... they love that!

I have to start working my decals for this weekend. I dont know how many of each to take :S

I have been wondering, how long can I have a decal with tape on it? Will they get damaged if they keep the tape for long or what?

Guest Terry

You couldn't PAY me to take my equipment to a flea market... But I have seen many of them at LARGE bike shows and car shows just cutting away graphics left and right.  :thumbsup:

I have been wondering, how long can I have a decal with tape on it? Will they get damaged if they keep the tape for long or what?

Ooo, good question. If know one here knows the answer then I would suggest asking the guys on at the flea market. Hehehehe.

Joe... Just take all your decals with you without app tape on them. This would serve two purposes. First, the customer can see the decal better. Second, if it doesn't sell, just take it back home and wait to put the app tape when it DOES sell.

U da man Tim! I thought about it, now I know Im not crazy... or @ least I know there are 2 crazy people.

I am thinking about sticking one of each on a transparent Acrylic rectangle. What do you think?

Guest Terry

And DO NOT USE CLEAR it will lift bubble etc. when it hits heat outside.

how many designs are you going to have? Can you post a photo after you get your display stuff all setup? Not looking to steal designs or graphics, just want to see how you lay it all out for display. I started to put stuff on my lanai sliding door, but since we're moving some time next month, I gotta start peeling it all off. Oh well ... the new(er) house has a LOT of glass for me to stick stuff on. WooHoo!!

Ok Ill do that.

Im not going to display nothing big or fancy. Actually Im sharing a table with a friend just to sede how it goes. If it goes well I will keep going and hopefully have a table for myself and have a nice display.

Joe

I've not been to the big flea-a-rama in Nashville in a long time, but there used to be a fella set up there and did a ton of business just cutting out "I love ....." and stuff like that. His booth was always active, and the running machine kept folks at it all day. Long as people stand around and watch they attract more and with that comes sales.

Besides, it's a lot cheaper to rent a flea market booth than go to a head doctor. Spend about $70 for a weekend booth at a big flea market, for 2 12 hour days .. and within a hour of watching some of the folks that attend these things ya realize that there ain't nothing wrong with you! LOL ......

Guest fivestar

I've not been to the big flea-a-rama in Nashville in a long time, but there used to be a fella set up there and did a ton of business just cutting out "I love ....." and stuff like that. His booth was always active, and the running machine kept folks at it all day. Long as people stand around and watch they attract more and with that comes sales.

Besides, it's a lot cheaper to rent a flea market booth than go to a head doctor. Spend about $70 for a weekend booth at a big flea market, for 2 12 hour days .. and within a hour of watching some of the folks that attend these things ya realize that there ain't nothing wrong with you! LOL ......

:thumbsup::lol:;D ;D ;D

hello all !i have been doing the daytona flea market[1800 booths]for 6 months and as far as the vinyl goes its difficult to peddle the ordinary stuff.and i myself won't take the chance of selling copyrighted stuff.the sphincter police come throgh our market once a weekend!also the enviroment is harsh for cutter and computer set-up.sand,wind dust ,etc.but do your homework on your local market,,,and as others have already said cut at home and take to market.just my two and a third pennies worth.......cjb

I could do copyrighted stuff easily with no problem at all ( at least they sell copyrighted stuff in the big malls and nobody says a thing), but I dont. I have my origianl designs with various themes that can appeal a wide variety of people and I will be selling those. I think thats why it will be a little more difficult.

Joe

Guest Terry

Joe I wouldn't worry about copyright stuff, just sign the receipts... Firemalt.  :thumbsup:

LOL @ Terry.

Joe, you could try using one of those cardboard tri-fold displays, get one in black, and post all kinds of decals on it.

Joe I wouldn't worry about copyright stuff, just sign the receipts... Firemalt.  :lol:

;D  :thumbsup: