Sign in to follow this  
marduk

Wallsticker not sticking to the wall?

Hi

I just bought Oracal 631 for indoor wallstickers and i hope you can answer some of these questions related to that product. I really want to be specific for my customers, what is best and what is acceptable for them them:

What paint is best on the wall? what is the minimum requirement for there wall? like how high gloss paint, what is the maximum texture etc.? it would be a shame to only tell them it would work on smooth surface, mat paint etc. dont want to limit who i get as customers, if it can sit on many types of walls.

Baiscly all recommend to use Oratape ht55 applicationtape for Oracal 631, when we talk about wallstickers. Here in Denmark i can only get Oratape LT95, which they say is perfect for wallstickers. Is it just as good at ht55?

Main thing with the paint, is these new 'stain resistant' paints. They have Teflon, and silicon in them, to make it easy to wash, stain resistant, kinda like a non-stick frying pan. Also makes the paint, 'vinyl resistant'. 

• Like 2

Yep! What he ^^^^ said. Selling wall decals comes with a big disclaimer these days. Even on regular painted walls they are FUN to install. Have you done any for your own walls yet? If not I suggest doing some just for the fun of it and you will have a better feeling for what your customers are going to experience. The heavier the texture the tougher it is to get good adhesion too. 

• Like 1

Anybody ever try offering a small decal just for testing the wall? Maybe charge a buck for it while using up your scraps. You could explain the issues with different paints and textures and that it will let them know if it will work before forking over the cash for a big decal.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

@knucklehead
Is it only these two things i should make sure, there isnt in there paint? Teflon and silicon. or could it be more things.

@Wildgoose
I tryed to install at my parents house and it wouldnt stick at all. I think this is how we say it in denmark about there wall: "its glassfabric with gloss 10 paint". then i got home to my apartment, which uses "woodchip wallpaper with gloss 5 paint", which works perfectly. This is a bit confusing to me, so im trying to figure out what exacly i can write to the customers, so i dont lose all the customers, because i type "something to save". want to be as precise as i can.
Is there a guide with images, that shows what textures is good and bad?

@signyouup
My plan was to send a small test-samle with sticker(maybe also offer at the webpage), so they could test it before wasting the wallsticker they ordered.

Try using a hair dryer or heat gun and a new, clean paint roller.  Heat the vinyl up a bit to make it pliable and roll over it with the paint roller using firm pressure.  This will help push the vinyl down into the wall texture where it doesn't want to stick.

I haven't tried this technique myself, but I've heard from others who have done it.

I'm familiar with the painted glassfabric walls you're talking about though.  I was stationed in Germany for a few years with the Air Force.  From what I remember, it was tough to stick anything to that type of wall in general.

Thanks for the replies.

@knucklehead
Is it only these two things i should make sure, there isnt in there paint? Teflon and silicon. or could it be more things.

@Wildgoose

I tryed to install at my parents house and it wouldnt stick at all. I think this is how we say it in denmark about there wall: "its glassfabric with gloss 10 paint". then i got home to my apartment, which uses "woodchip wallpaper with gloss 5 paint", which works perfectly. This is a bit confusing to me, so im trying to figure out what exacly i can write to the customers, so i dont lose all the customers, because i type "something to save". want to be as precise as i can.

Is there a guide with images, that shows what textures is good and bad?

@signyouup

My plan was to send a small test-samle with sticker(maybe also offer at the webpage), so they could test it before wasting the wallsticker they ordered.

Bottom line is people can be ridiculously stupid so the best thing you can probably do is give as much warning as possible to CYA. I don't sell retail online or otherwise but have a few clients that buy some wall decals from me.