DC Custom

New to cutting.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Mz SKEETER" data-cid="400857" data-time="1439688383"><p>

I purchase transfer tape in many different widths for my jobs....I always have 6" 9" 15" 18" 24"</p></blockquote>

100 yards of each? If you don't mind my asking, where do you purchase from? Where is the best deal from? On vinyl and the transfer paper.

Absolutely 100 yds of each  I run an online business with many different sizes of decals..   I purchase by  48" logs and my vendor slits it for free...  I use Main paper transfer tape.

US Cutter of course has vinyl and transfer tape. I tried the RTape clear AT65 it seems great so far! I LOVE the option to apply wet or dry with clear tape.Last time I ordered 24" and 15'' Avery 700 which seems very nice. One other good outlet is Fellers for vinyl you can even order by the food even though its a little higher.

I primarily use paper tape and a little clear for the ladies who want to see the color better. I really don't enjoy clear tape for application. R-Tape is great and I typically use hi-tack. 4076 or 4075 I forget. I keep several widths. typically 24", 14 or 15", 12" and then a clear roll in 10". Seems to fit what I do the best. I use a "Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl Tool" for any sizable jobs which is awesome for masking and even application in some places. 

HT55 is a special tape designed for use with the 631 mat finished short term/indoor vinyl. It is a medium tack that CAN be used on other vinyl but I have had issues with it leaving vinyl stuck on the carrier, especially 651 which can be tricky with any tape. The HT55 has extra glue which allows it to gain better grip on the mat finish but a medium tack to help get it off once the 631 is on a wall. Good stuff and I keep a roll of that too although I rarely do indoor work. 

The paper is for sure easier to work with but I do enjoy the visual of the clear. Being able to level stickers etc

I used to tell my vinyl cutter guy to always send me vinyl with the paper. He sent me the clear one time and I hated it. Worst thing ever. But now I read reviews on the at65 and I want to try it. I never had a problem leveling decals with the paper. So should I look at the 651 vinyl and the 4076rla?

The vinyl will depend on the job or at least it should. 651 is calendared vinyl which is suitable for temporary and semi-permanent signage like banners and property for sale signs. You just have to be aware that any calendared vinyl has the potential for shrinkage. 651 probably shrinks the least of any calendared vinyl that I have used. For any vehicle work or hard faced signage that will be there a long time I use at least 751 cast vinyl. Do a google search on the differences between cast and calendared vinyl and you can find some good reading.  You would be surprised how much expansion and contraction goes on in a large plate glass window or the side of a car. Calendared vinyl just doesn't have the ability to handle that on a daily basis and maintain it's integrity. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that info!

One other question I had... after the cutter finishes cutting, how do you cut the vinyl and paper? How do you get a straight line? Seems like there should be a slide cutter on the machine. (Maybe there is on the higher end models and not the value?)

Summa's come with a fancy version of the letter opener. They have a special groove and the cutter slides in it. I have my cutting set to automatically advance the vinyl in SignCut Pro so it's in the perfect spot and then it returns to the right spot after I press the enter button on the computer. Pretty handy. I THINK SignCut will work on most cutters that way too. (I'm not trying to brag about Summa just showing that a letter opener isn't necessarily a redneck idea)

post-20133-0-61023000-1439749468_thumb.j

• Like 1

Summa's come with a fancy version of the letter opener. They have a special groove and the cutter slides in it. I have my cutting set to automatically advance the vinyl in SignCut Pro so it's in the perfect spot and then it returns to the right spot after I press the enter button on the computer. Pretty handy. I THINK SignCut will work on most cutters that way too. (I'm not trying to brag about Summa just showing that a letter opener isn't necessarily a redneck idea)

I do believe UsCutter and other sign companies sell that tool. I was going to buy one I don't care for the one Graphtec sends.

That's smart! I was out of town today and was walking up and down isles at Walmart and came across some letter openers and I bought a few. Then I check in here and see that's what was recommended! Awesome! So sounds like it's been used before and it works. I also was at a lumber yard and picked up a 4x4 sheet of hardboard since right now I don't really have a place to cut the vinyl and transfer tape. I don't want to cut directly on the table, so I'll place this hardboard on the table when I do my decal work and hopefully that'll get me by for the time being!

I'm just getting started and trying to find out what works and what I need. I also bought a wooden dowel and some eye hooks. I'm going to try to make a holder for the transfer tape so it'll be a bit easier to apply. Let's see how that goes!