Sign in to follow this  
haumana

looking for: smoked salmon recipe

Anyone out there got a decent recipe they're willing to share? I just picked-up an old Japanese smoker a.k.a. a Big Green Egg. I want to smoke some salmon so I can turn it into dip. Maybe do a little "Chicken on a throne" too.

I have tons of really good ones at home, I will dig them up and send you a message this evening  :)

Thanks! I'm looking forward to some tasty smoked salmon dip  :)

My hubby LOVES smoked salmon..............so please share the recipes!!  :)

3 easy recipes to try

Sweet & Simple

2 quarts water

2 cups brown sugar

1 cup rock salt

2 tbs granulated garlic

2 tbs Tabasco Sauce

Mix the ingredients. Submerge fish in brine skin side down on the bottom layer, meat side down on the next layer. Repeat layering skin to skin, meat to meat.

Place a weighted plate on top of the fish to fully submerge all fillets.

Soak in brine 8-12 hours or overnight in fridge.

Remove fish from brine and plce in smoker

Smoke to desired texture. Cooking time varies from 3-10 hours depending on smoker and volume of fish.

Rockin Rum   (my favorite)

4 cups rock salt

2 cups dark brown sugar

1 tbs white pepper

1 tbs garlic powder

1 tbs onion powder

1 cup of rum

2-3 tbs of rum to brush on later

Mix ingredients

Place layer of fish and spoon brine over the fish. Continue layering meat to meat. Weigh fish down so it remains compacted. Soak in fridge 6-8 hours.

Remove fish from brine and rinse briefly. Place on racks and let air dry until pellicle forms

Place in smoker and cook until done. While still warm on racks brush rum coating on, which enhances flavor and create a nice glossy finish.

Lemon Dill

6 cups water

1/2 cup salt

2 cups white sugar

1/2 cup lemon juice

1 ounce fresh baby dill

Mix ingredients together

submerge fish and layer brine mix on, meat to meat. Weigh the fish down so it stays submerged.

Soak in brine 2.5 hours. Do not oversoak as the citric acid will begin to "cook" the fish much like ceviche.

Take out of brine and let air dry on racks. Smoke to desired texture 3-10 hours.

All recipes will accommodate 2 fillets sliced two to three inches thick with the skin on. The thickness of the fillets you use will vary, as will the smoking time. 

WooHoo! Mahalo!

I can't wait to run to the store to buy me some salmon to test out these recipes!!! This is going to be soo awesome.

Let me know if anyone here wants "local" (Hawaiian-style) recipes. Don't know what I could offer, but I'm more than willing  :)

I'll see if I can get the recipe section of my website back up and running soon.

polarkiss knows her salmon, to bad the season was cancled here in California, I guess it needed to be none,

but it's still a bummer.  :'(

Tom

Glad I gots me a freezer full!

... and two cases canned,

... and another side freezer of smoked and vacuum packed

Gawd I'm tired of salmon!    hehe just kidding.

Here we avidly sportsfish for Sockeye, Silver and King (we really meaning my husband who loves is), and we also net subsistence Red Salmon in the amount of 25 for head of household and 10 per family member.  Sounds like a lot but many families only eat salmon and moose all winter.  I dont think I had a "tuna" sandwich until I was about 10 years old lol. 

Another tip for smoking - dont use "pink" salmon if you can afford it.  Also called chum, dogfish and humpies.  We throw them back up here or feed them to the dog teams.  Very mushy and not the best choice.  Also King Salmon may have to be smoked longer due to the higher oil content.

Good to know.

I don't know how Costco or Sam's Club labels their salmon, but there's a good chance that they will only have one or two types for me to choose from. We eat a lot more long line fish here: mahi, ahi, aku, ono (wahoo), au, etc. You know, I really wish I knew what the english names are for those fishes, but being born and raised here, we're so used calling them by they Hawaiian names. Although we are now starting to get more "gassed" fish, but they stand out like sore thumb (it's so bright and pink).

I like to eat a lot of sashimi (raw fish, as in used for sushi), and poke - a Hawaiian raw fish appetizer. But then again I always like my seafood and raw and fishy as possible  :)

I just wish there was a local place here to get GOOD FRESH FISH.  What we get in our stores, is far from fresh.  I couldn't imagine eatting raw fish as I've never been around it other than fried or baked.

smoking white fish??? you know when I say it out loud and in my head, it almost sounds like I've been smoking something banana.gif

I didn't know how good I had it with fresh fish here, until I moved to the Bay Area and it turns out that their definition of fresh fish is completely different than the my definite of fresh fish. My mainland friends were amazed that I could tell whether a fish was previously frozen or not. I never really gave it much thought. Just one of those things I guess dunno.gif