polarkiss

Using Krylon Fusion...

I am experimenting with shading my own vinyl for a personal job.  I bought some Krylon Fusion as suggested in an earlier thread and unleashed my leet spray can skills on the hapless vinyl. 

OK, actually I suck with a spray can and it turned out horrible. MaYbe not horrible, but it spattered something awful and I wanted a more smooth look.  I shook the heck out of the can before I started, and even did two test pieces and both spattered.  Is this just the norm?  Do I need an airbrush to make it look smoother?

Any tips or help is appreciated!

Pics forthcoming, camera battery is charging up.

I never had any luck with fusion,it wanted to splatter and come out thick. Fine if you are painting a patio chair. My nephew had a tiny little air brush set-up that I think would be perfect for what you want. It was very cheap as I recall.

A guy I used to work for used to put a piece of fine nylon panty hose over his spray nozels to keep the splatters down. He painted cars. Might give it a shot. Who knows?

ok guys you got me guessing now, what is krylon fusion and whats it for?

maybe its a silly question but ive never heard of it being new to this

It is spray paint that is designed for plastic. Supposedly,it won't flake off...it fuses to the plastic. I can testify to that. I painted a bit of banner as a test. It does indeed stay on.

Guest fivestar

Yes it definitely stays on, the splatter I think is because of the spray nozzle it uses.  The nozzle is different the a "regular" spray bomb nozzle, maybe try swapping the nozzles, just be sure and have it aimed AWAY from you when putting the other nozzle on.  ;)

Yes it definitely stays on, the splatter I think is because of the spray nozzle it uses.  The nozzle is different the a "regular" spray bomb nozzle, maybe try swapping the nozzles, just be sure and have it aimed AWAY from you when putting the other nozzle on.   ;)

YOu too,huh? :)

u should get some vinyl dye i think duplicolor makes some.Ive used duplicolor paint in the past and its awesome

u should get some vinyl dye i think duplicolor makes some.Ive used duplicolor paint in the past and its awesome

That hadn't occured to me. When I was in the upholstery biz,there was vinyl dye for changing seat cover colors in cars. You could get it at places that sold car paint,laquer,etc. It just might work for signs too.

Guest fivestar

I actually thought of that a few months back and then it totally slipped my mind.  Thanks for the info, I think I will give 'er a shot when I get some free time.  Busy time of the yr for me right now.  ;)

Finally got my pictures off of my defunct Casio digital camera. 

Here is the vinyl flame with the Krylon paint on it.

The spatter is evident on the close up.  Looks great from far away!

I haven't tried the nylon trick, I will do that when I get a spare moment.

post-2248-12986518503332_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518503963_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518521446_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518521787_thumb.jpg

Guest Terry

You did real nice  ;D for a spray can, now you need an airbrush to practice so you can get that nice powder gradient look. The can is tough unless you hold it WAY back and lightly dust and keep it MOVING.

One way that I have found to help reduce the "spatter" is to set your spray can in some hot water just before you go to use it. It helps it to spray a finer mist. I have done this on other projects before and it works great.