Sign in to follow this  
Kcross47601

Multi color layering vinyl on a shirt

Hey guys and gals.  I decided to make the jump into shirts starting the progression into sublimation later on.  Just for now, I plan to do HTV shirts.  I've saw on forums before that it's not good to layer 2 colors directly on top of each other in some situations. I have seen videos on youtube where the larger image is almost outlined in one color and the second and sometimes third colors are registered and pressed seperately.  Is something like this possiable in SCALP4 or will I need to graduate to Flexi or another higher grade program to be able to cut multi colors for shirts?  I knew how to do it in the old SB program but it's not been acting right lately with the new cutter.  Kris

I think he called it a trapping method.  This demos what I'm talking about but I don't have a cameo or his software.

They are just knocking out the silver design inside the pink so it doesn't stack but looks like it does. The MOM is cut out and is the shirt color. In my experience there is a certain degree of error that you end up trying to deal with when doing this because the shirt will probably do a little shrinking and moving on you. Regular HTV vinyl can be layers if needed but it's still a great idea to limit this so as to keep a lighter feel to the end product. I don't like to get too skinny on edge work like this because it may not have a good bite if it's too small but 1/8" is usually enough. On hoodies and thicker stuff I often just layer it (not with glitter).