Sign in to follow this  
mlganey

Starting a Clothing Line...HELP

I apologize now if this is all ignorant.

My sister & I have decided to start a clothing line with vinyl...simple single color designs.  I have been selling wall decals for the past 5 years and use LXi Master Plus...so this is an exciting addition to my business.  I want to learn Adobe Illustrator and use that to scan original art for designs into and vectorize it so I can cut it, etc. 

I would love any feedback on great heat presses, vinyl, etc.  Pretty much clueless...I've been researching here and there, but know you all are filled with a ton of super helpful info! 

Thanks in advance!

(the types of designs are similar to this)

The very first thing I would suggest is the addition of this simple symbol to all your work.

shockleewebpic_copyright.jpg

• Like 2

That's awesome! You go girl! I second the Copyright symbol (assuming it's your own work, if not then pack your bags for a trip to court). Study up on copyright law and probably should look into registering a trademark at some point although not a big deal until you know it's selling. Copyright protection begins the day you draw it up.

On the presses what's your budget and how ambitious are you? There are budget models and middle of the road and high end. I would suggest at least a middle of the road model or higher end if you are super sure you're going to sell a lot of these.

For vinyl, most of us have had great success with the Siser Easyweed sold at USCutter. With the thin lines on the above design I would probably step it up to easyweed stretch as it will handle those thin lines for a longer lifespan. Stahls also makes good products but they apply at higher heat and about half of them don't have sticky backed carriers which can mess up your day weeding and placing.

I would suggest getting signed up at SanMar for clothing but you will need a resellers license if you don't already have one. They are about the best price around for blank clothing and if you order over $200 you get free shipping. I used Jiffyshirts a little in the old days but SanMar is a definite savings. 

I'm fairly handy with Illustrator, especially with cut ready style designs so if you get stumped on a how-to post up and myself or several others on the forum will talk you through it. I personally don't like the results the live trace (easy button) gives with most designs. I have seen several who also us Photoshop get good trace results by cleaning up the image to a very high contrast in PS then trace in AI and end up looking closer to the original. I hand trace practically all my own work in AI to get the super clear results I want. Also basically all text looks like a mess when traced (unless you want it to look like a mess). AI is a really powerful program and IMO perfect for what you are trying to do. There are a lot of parts that you won't need for cut vinyl so don't get intimidated with the steep learning curve.  

Good luck with your new endeavor! I have seven daughters so I'm a big proponent of successful women.

• Like 1

That's awesome! You go girl! I second the Copyright symbol (assuming it's your own work, if not then pack your bags for a trip to court). Study up on copyright law and probably should look into registering a trademark at some point although not a big deal until you know it's selling. Copyright protection begins the day you draw it up.

On the presses what's your budget and how ambitious are you? There are budget models and middle of the road and high end. I would suggest at least a middle of the road model or higher end if you are super sure you're going to sell a lot of these.

For vinyl, most of us have had great success with the Siser Easyweed sold at USCutter. With the thin lines on the above design I would probably step it up to easyweed stretch as it will handle those thin lines for a longer lifespan. Stahls also makes good products but they apply at higher heat and about half of them don't have sticky backed carriers which can mess up your day weeding and placing.

I would suggest getting signed up at SanMar for clothing but you will need a resellers license if you don't already have one. They are about the best price around for blank clothing and if you order over $200 you get free shipping. I used Jiffyshirts a little in the old days but SanMar is a definite savings. 

I'm fairly handy with Illustrator, especially with cut ready style designs so if you get stumped on a how-to post up and myself or several others on the forum will talk you through it. I personally don't like the results the live trace (easy button) gives with most designs. I have seen several who also us Photoshop get good trace results by cleaning up the image to a very high contrast in PS then trace in AI and end up looking closer to the original. I hand trace practically all my own work in AI to get the super clear results I want. Also basically all text looks like a mess when traced (unless you want it to look like a mess). AI is a really powerful program and IMO perfect for what you are trying to do. There are a lot of parts that you won't need for cut vinyl so don't get intimidated with the steep learning curve.  

Good luck with your new endeavor! I have seven daughters so I'm a big proponent of successful women.. 

Thank you SO much!  That design is not ours...I was simply using it as an example so you all know what type of work we're aiming towards.  My sister is an artist and will be drawing our designs...and I'll be sure we add a c to it. 

I sure appreciate all of your suggestions.  My Mom has hand silk-screened shirts for almost 30 years and has always been a loyal SanMar customers...so we'll use them as well.  I'm also hoping to use Bella Canvas and American Apparel.

My other question was what type of heat press?  I don't want a cheap one...I always believe you pay for what you get...so would like a higher end model.  I've seen others say George Knight is a good brand?!?!

Thanks again...and I may definitely be looking for AI advice and help down the road.  I need to get that ordered!

I recently researched and purchased a new press. The Geo Knight brand is a good one. They build them to last. Hotronix is a great brand too as is Hix. (there are some other commercial brands too but I am not familiar with them). I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three well know presses it just boils down to personal preferences at the final decision. I went the fusion over the similar Geo Knight swing away. Glad I did after getting it and using it but again any of the major commercial brands are going to have good platens and solid construction with quality pins and bushings.