Sign in to follow this  
metricdevil

USB connection doesn't work

First off, if I had come across these forums before I bought from US Cutter, I would have never bothered with this machine.

I have tried to setup my MH721 to work with both my MacBook Pro and my G4 tower using the recommended USB drivers and I can't get SignCut to communicate with the plotter. Nothing. I tried re-loading the drivers. Restarting. Everything. And still nothing. Unplugging the USB cable. Even switching USB cables. Nothing.

Now I see that the resolution is to get one of these Keyspan adapters. Hey, here's an idea ...

IF THAT'S THE RESOLUTION, THEN ONE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED WITH MY PURCHASE!

I am completely frustrated. And, of course it's Saturday and there is no one to answer my calls and there's not a store within 100 miles of me that has one of the USB/Serial cables in stock.

Is there anyone using a MH721 who is using a USB cable to connect to their Mac? What's the secret? Because it certainly isn't revealed on this web site, in the literature that came with the plotter or anywhere else.

Help.

Yeah, Before purchasing the Cutter, I also read the forums a bit.  Seemed like the common consensus was that a Keyspan adapter was a necessary for Mac users.  I ordered one the same time i ordered the Cutter.  Model number is USA-19HS. Order from newegg.com  You should have it in a few days. 

This is exactly my point.

If the USB incompatibility is a KNOWN issue, then the part that you need to make it work should be supplied with the order. The product is advertised as Mac compatible, yet it is not ... not without a Keyspan USB to serial adapter, that is.

What it is, is a workaround (at best) to a known compatibility or hardware/software issue that should either be resolved or included with the purchase. This isn't an add on for additional features or a list of luxury items that allow you to work better, it's an an integral and (apparently) very necessary part that the end user NEEDS to do anything at all with this machine. If it's not Mac compatible, then advertise it as such. If it is, provide everything the Mac user needs to get up and running. It's that simple. Basically, what I bought is a useless machine ... UNLESS I buy an additional part. It's mis-leadng to the buyer and horrible customer support. When I purchase something like this, I expect it to work, not work on the condition that I buy something else that the supplier says I may or may not need (and only says that after the fact).

So ... I again put this question to the forum

HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS USING A MH721 ON A MAC UGING ONLY THE PROVIDED USB CABLE?

If not, then it seems to me that it should be a no-brainer to include what you DO need to use the MH721 on a Mac. Am I crazy here or is this just common sense?

The KeySpan adaptor is a good solution for Copam owners on a Mac, but with the MH721....the included USB cable should be just fine. If the drivers are installed properly, you should see a selection in SignCut for the Device that looks similar to: devUSBSerial0000000

If the driver is not installed properly, it will not be a selection. have you gone to the FTDI web site to get the correct driver?

Yes, the driver is installed properly. It shows up and the machine receives signals from the Mac. However, it's a crapshoot what the plotter actually cuts verses what's on the screen. Errant lines everywhere (some are 12" or more away from the actual design.) I ordered the Keyspan adapter ... like everyone else.

And ... I just realized (after reading everyone else's posts) that the screen on my plotter shows nothing. Nothing at all. I hit the Setup button and a blue light flickers for a second but the screen is completely black. Awesome ...

I think you are right...the keyspan adapter should have come with your mac.

Yes, the driver is installed properly. It shows up and the machine receives signals from the Mac. However, it's a crapshoot what the plotter actually cuts verses what's on the screen. Errant lines everywhere (some are 12" or more away from the actual design.) I ordered the Keyspan adapter ... like everyone else.

And ... I just realized (after reading everyone else's posts) that the screen on my plotter shows nothing. Nothing at all. I hit the Setup button and a blue light flickers for a second but the screen is completely black. Awesome ...

If the cutter is displaying nothing on the LCD screen, there is something loose, or a split wire, or possibly a hardware failure.

The KeySpan adaptor is a good solution for Copam owners on a Mac, but with the MH721....the included USB cable should be just fine. If the drivers are installed properly, you should see a selection in SignCut for the Device that looks similar to: devUSBSerial0000000

If the driver is not installed properly, it will not be a selection. have you gone to the FTDI web site to get the correct driver?

Thanks for that. I was about to come ask this same question, but I got mine working with my regular USB plug because of your post.  ;D

This may not apply here but I know that the screen on my LP will be complete black when I turn it on if the end/E stop button/s are pressed. 

(the cutter head is touching the push button on the ends)

I have to turn the machine off, move the cutter head over off the red switch and then turn the machine back on.

Just FYI, these switches can hang on there own. Say they have been pressed and when released they don't completely pop back out/open.

You can check and press the switch a few time real fast.

BTW I read this forum before I purchased my cutter.  I guess there's a optimistic and pessimistic view for everything. I'm an optimist. My thinking was that everything that's ever been sold has issues. Not every company has a forum like ours but have issues just like anyone else. Atleast here I can get help by not only the admin, via the phone, I also have many users to help as well and to tip it off these people have hands on experience not reading from some step by step customer service book talking half arse English. With other companies I pay for name and 500% markup.

my .02

Eric