Sign in to follow this  
express2100

following body lines

The body lines on a 98 chevy are not parallel and my decals appear crooked. The body lines run further apart as you go towards the rear. If I follow the top line it appears to rise in the rear. Follow the bottom line and it appears to drop in the rear. I taped them on the truck in both positions but my eye said "they are crooked dummy". It was late so I walked away and this morning I had a thought...

When laying down fairly large decals (mostly lettering)  between the body lines; would it be best to locate the center in the front and rear of the vehicle, connect the two points and center the decals on that line?

For reference: 

post-85196-0-02300100-1411563876_thumb.j

post-85196-0-58885900-1411563883_thumb.j

Every time I do one of those I measure up from the center body line. No complaints yet.

I measure down from the bed rail or up from the very bottom to get mine straight. Not sure about Chevy but for Fords (pretty much all I do  ;D ) my rule of thumb for 4x4 decals are 5" down from bed rail and 2" over from tail light. 

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jaybird" data-cid="372309" data-time="1411567814"><p>

Every time I do one of those I measure up from the center body line. No complaints yet.</p></blockquote>

What are you considering the center body line?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jaybird" data-cid="372309" data-time="1411567814"><p>

Every time I do one of those I measure up from the center body line. No complaints yet.</p></blockquote>

What are you considering the center body line?

the 1 about a foot below the door handle. No matter what you do it will never be aligned with all the angles (which you already know) but that line seems to be the one that you eye draws to first so using it makes everything look straight.

Every time I do one of those I measure up from the center body line. No complaints yet.

Same here.

That is the line I originally used and it looked best but not perfect. I will lay everything out again tonight and see how it looks. Thanks guys!

I measure down from the bed rail or up from the very bottom to get mine straight. Not sure about Chevy but for Fords (pretty much all I do  ;D ) my rule of thumb for 4x4 decals are 5" down from bed rail and 2" over from tail light. 

Is there other makes other then Ford ?

• Like 1

All done! Followed the center line and everything looks great but I have to admit I wasn't sure it would when I was laying it out. My OCD just about killed me. Guess I'm too dang picky.

One more lesson learned. Hopefully I can retain the info long enough to complete truck #2 tomorrow. Thanks again guys!

• Like 1