Sign in to follow this  
express2100

Purchased stock vector license and my rights???

Anyone familiar with pond5 ? I can't seem to make heads or tails of their licensing policies and my rights?

Basically I want to purchase a vector for use on a mechanics sign but I can't seem to locate the license info be certain I can legally do so. Most other sites have "standard" or "expanded" license options right at checkout. 

If anyone knows or has a spare minute to check it out and help clarify I would really appreciate it. This image is not available anywhere else at a price I can afford. (15x the price)

Here is a link to a different image:

https://www.pond5.com/illustration/16069291/retro-car-white-background-vector-illustration.html

1. We hereby grant you a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual right and license (the "License") on the terms and subject to the conditions and limitations set out in this Agreement, to, an unlimited number of times: (i) use, couple and synchronize the Content in a Work For Distribution and create Works for Distribution incorporating the Content, (ii) copy, use, modify, publicly display and perform, publish, transmit, broadcast, telecast, and distribute such Works for Distribution and permit third parties to do the same, provided that the provisions of this Agreement regarding Content are complied with by Licensee and such third parties, and (iii) use the Content Information internally to facilitate the foregoing.

You can use it. Just not share or sell it in any way to another (part b and no other fees on top of your purchase price will be needed.

B.

The License is non-transferable. The term "non-transferable" as used herein means that except as specifically provided herein, you should not sell, rent, load, give, sublicense, or otherwise transfer to anyone, any Content or the right to use any Content. You may, however, transfer Content to a third Person for the sole purpose of allowing such third Person to produce, duplicate or distribute your Work for Distribution, provided that you take all commercially reasonable steps to prevent third parties from extracting or duplicating the Content. If you become aware of any unauthorized duplication of any Content, you should promptly notify us via the Website.

• Like 1

.....Gibberish 

"You can use it. Just not share or sell it in any way"

The file? or the products produced using the file?  

You can use the design in your logo but can't sell the file or share it for others to use in their work. They would need to pay Pond5 for the rights to use it.

• Like 1

I've been dealing with a stock image website about their licensing rights. With them, and I'd imagine most stock image sites, you can purchase a standard license and make stuff for a single customer. You are basically buying the image for that customer. You could make them a sign, some business cards, etc.

What you can't do is mass produce items with that design or print-on-demand for the mass market.

If another customer wants the same design, then you have to buy it again, or purchase the extended license if you think it's going to be a big seller.

• Like 1

The way they have it worded, he can use it "an unlimited number of times" at least for one customer.

I think you might run into trouble if you are trying to incorporate it into his actual business logo. In other words you probably can't create an exclusive design that he can then claim copyright to for his business. It's just a side view of a specific model. I would recreate my own similar and forget about it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! It's just not as clear as it is on other sites. The logo use does get tricky as well. Recreating something similar would be ideal but I'm not sure I am capable. I'll sleep on it.....

From Pond 5's website.

Except for Content that is specified in the Website as being suitable for use in a logo, you may not incorporate any Content into a logo, trademark or service mark without explicit written permission from either us or the applicable Contributor.

Anyone else able to make sense of this? I know the NOOB is pouring off of me here!! I simply want to purchase a vector, cut the decal and place it on a business sign. 

If it's an element of the sign and not part of a logo they would TM or copyright you should be fine. I'd just shoot them an email and ask to be 100% sure.