turnedforgood

Vinyl on wood

The fire department has a large picnic table that they just built using new wood.  It's unfinished and they plan to coat it with an epoxy and keep it outside under a shelter.  They are wanting me to put some vinyl graphics on it before they seal it.  I'm worried that the vinyl will not last on bare wood even with the epoxy over it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I do not have a printer, just a cutter.

How about using your decals as a stencil (weed the opposite of what you would normally weed) and then paint it on? Just an idea. :)

• Like 1

X2 for the above. If not have them put a first coat of epoxy on to seal the wood. Then apply graphic then coat over everything with another 2 or 3 coats of UV protective epoxy.

• Like 1

X3 on the stencils. Will look better after being covered in epoxy because there will be no height difference between the wood surface and graphic

It depends on the complexity of the design. If it's one or two color, the stencil idea would probably be best. If it's intricate, I would go the vinyl route.

• Like 1