Sign in to follow this  
singingtami

wet application question

Is wet application only for windows and smooth surfaces, or can it be done on a textured wall or a painted piece of wood?

Can it be done if the temperature is still in the freezing range, since I have no hope of ever seeing the snow melt where I live?

That's a tough question. I think it would really matter whether or not the surface you're trying to apply the vinyl to is non-absorbing. I'm guessing that it might work, but I don't know how well, on surfaces that might be inclined to retain the application fluid. Most surfaces that can retain any fluid will most likely swell - some a little, some a lot. If you can get the vinyl to stick on it, it might turn out looking a little different after everything dries up.

But please, definitely seek other opinions on this. I have not don't a wet application to anything that can absorb water, nor do I live (or ever plan to live) in an area that snows or gets frozen B))

Here's a youtube vid that shows the usage of Rapid Tac in extremely cold weather .. although I suspect that any application fluid might do the trick too.

Good luck.

I always do dry on textured surfaces. It is almost impossible to squeegie out all of the fluid,PLUS on textured surfaces,you usually have a few minutes to pull the vinyl back up and adjust. I even do DRY on banners that are not smooth or glossy.

I knew you'd know Banner John!

I know you don't use rapid tac, but make your own solution. Does it work in cold weather, or is that rapid tac 2 something specially for cold weather.

I have a logo I want to put on my van windows, and don't want to wait until July when it might finally warm up (Dang Wyoming winter!).

I'm jealous haumana! I want to live where you live!

Cant help you there I don't work outside in cold weather...ever. BUT if its for your van,just start up the thing,let it warm up, crank up the heat for a few minutes and the glass should be plenty warm enough. Anything above freezing should be ok even with my home-made solution.

for 1 quart....75% water, 25% RUBBING alochol(NOT denatured) and 3-4 drops of dishwashing liquid. Skaken,not stirred.