Moody Blue

logo "likeness" and text usage

So I have been doing custom 4x4 logos for members of the f150forum and now looking to really branch out my business due to an excessive amount of interest in my designs. Being that they are all one off custom logos I didn't think too much about this until now that I want to offer some "standard" decals on the web page I am creating. I have searched endlessly for brand guidelines from Ford but have to go through a screening/approval that can take weeks before I may or may not be able to just read through it. My question is regarding Fords packages STX, XLT, FX2, FX4...am I legally allowed to use the lettering in my designs?

I'm not worried about 4x4 Offroad because every truck manufacturer offers their own 4x4 package so as long as I'm not using their logos/fonts without permission I cannot get in trouble. So what about the usage of FX4? If I have my own design with no likeness to theirs can I get in trouble for using F X and 4 in my design for an FX4 model truck?

I hear ford is pretty strict on their logos and such and getting permission or the rights for a small time person the fee will be high. Chevy is even worse. As for your question I have no clue their might be a thin line that you could or you couldn't. Most of the time they will send a letter saying stop or else before they sue or they may make a deal with you being your not a big outfit.

You have to account for the possibility they rag you about it no matter what you do.

Personally, I would stay away from the Brand designations altogether.

At a minimum, I would change it, say, instead of "Fx4"  maybe "4Fx4" with the four and F welded

in some creative way you could claim means something else?

Perhaps, for instance on "XLT" put down below it text that reads something different that what their

designation for the letters means. ie. "Xtra Lawsuit Time" ? :)

Haha yes I like the xtra lawsuit time! Thanks for the feedback. I have heard that about the letter asking to no longer use the name or further legal action will be taken. Maybe just stick with my 4x4 designs for now until I can find the answer I need.

Cease & Desist notification. .. and they don't have to give you the courtesy of that, I've heard.

Just drop a lawsuit right in your lap.

It's not worth the hassle, IMO. 

If your just gonna wait now why not send them an email? The worst they will do is say no . I would send them one or two examples of what you want to do. I wouldn't want them stealing all your designs. They'll probably say no but you won't know until you ask them. Your not going to find a straight answer on the Internet. Their lawyers are the ones to ask. Good luck, you have some awesome designs.

Thanks for the feedback. I will continue my research and talk to my attorney about it....but I agree and for now it's not worth the risk.

I did one for my Spanish friend one time "Quatro por Quatro" or something like that. I'll have to find the picture. I like your designs. They look great.

• Like 1