I see a lot of free fonts for personal use only rules.  And I know a bunch of guys here have thousands of fonts they use, just wondering if you bought them all?  I was reading the font laws and it seems the US has no copyright laws of the actual visual letters of a font (typeface) but you can copyright the font software that's installed on the computer to produce it.  I don't really get that!

One could also say they made the font from scratch that looks like someones work.

So do you guys buy all your fonts you use for commercial use? 

I see a lot of free fonts for personal use only rules.  And I know a bunch of guys here have thousands of fonts they use, just wondering if you bought them all?  I was reading the font laws and it seems the US has no copyright laws of the actual visual letters of a font (typeface) but you can copyright the font software that's installed on the computer to produce it.  I don't really get that!

One could also say they made the font from scratch that looks like someones work.

So do you guys buy all your fonts you use for commercial use? 

example of licensing agreement on letterhead fonts - like many other custom font creations it is a licensing agreement - 

again this is just an example of language used to protect their creations.  you can try to justify it any way you want like when someone changes a Harley logo or shield and thinks they are then Legal  -  the lawyers see it differently - pay your money take your chance if you will

http://letterheadfonts.com/license/

The Font Software you selected to license by clicking the “Download” link, installing from a CD or by opening an archive package containing font files, is the sole property of Letterhead Fonts. The term “Font Software” includes any related documentation, images, applications and font files.

You may not copy the Font Software except as provided under the “Permitted Copies” provision above. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT MODIFY, ADAPT, TRANSLATE, ALTER NOR CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF THE FONT SOFTWARE. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT REVERSE ENGINEER, DECOMPILE, DECRYPT, DISASSEMBLE, NOR SEEK TO DISCOVER THE SOURCE CODE OF THE FONT SOFTWARE. IF THE FONT SOFTWARE CONTAINS EMBEDDING BITS THAT LIMIT THE CAPABILITIES OF THE FONT SOFTWARE, YOU MAY NOT CHANGE OR ALTER THE EMBEDDING BITS.

I worked with criminals for many years that "justified" what they did as right - one went so far as to say the old man he beat and robbed deserved it because "he was a grumpy old rich bastard that deserved it"  when someone is trying to justify what they do that is wrong, it is hard to convince them what is actually right