Sign in to follow this  
haumana

random (home) window question

I'll be moving into a house that has windows that slide horizontally. None of the windows on the house have any type of curtain, shade, or blinds.

Would you get vertical or venetian blinds? I want to maximize the amount of cross ventilation, but have the ability to control how much light hits inside the house.

For the record, if I got the vertical, then it would be the cloth ones so I wouldn't need to listen to the annoying rattling all day and night long.

Just wondering what you guys would do.

makai-west-livingroom.JPG

I would go vertical.  I think they would look great up there!

Does this mean you are leaving your nasty neighbor behind??

Jenny

Is there a storm coming? why are all the windows covered up across the street???  ;)

Yes, after considering the fact that my neighbor from hell will never move, sell, or be courteous, we decided to house hunt and miraculously found a perfect place within a month (and over two-dozen open houses later). I'll be giving up the great view of downtown Honolulu for some really far, far away ocean views. hahahaha.

I was thinking vertical too. At my current house I have double-hung windows with venetian blinds. I was thinking that since the new house has horizontally sliding windows that I should probably go for cloth verticals.

No storm  ;). The new house is across the street from an elementary school. So I'm sure that my days of sleeping in and setting my own work hours will now be, waking up to the sound of screaming and laughing kids 5-days a week ... and unfortunately the public school system here is now on a all-year round schedule, with longer spring and winter breaks.

But that's an acceptable trade off considering that when I have friends and family over, they can park in front of the school, rather than fighting for street parking in the rest of the neighborhood. I'll be closer to one of the malls, and about 5 blocks away from my brother and his two screaming and laughing kids.  :)

Well I'm glad to hear you will finally be away from those neighbors, I remember that they seemed so much like mine!  ;)  We too will be moving this year and I'm SO looking forward to being away from them. 

I think the cloth verticals will look great!! 

Jenny

I would go vertical. Then you can open them as wide as the window is and not have to worry about the wind b;owinf them around. I have both in my house and like the vertical blinds with the horizontal sliding windows and visa versa.

Is there a storm coming? why are all the windows covered up across the street???  ;)

That's the county jail!  :) j/k

hahaha. may not be the county jail, but we do have a few sex offenders in the neighborhood (I'm so scared for the kids), and ... I'm pretty sure that the school is most likely educating a few future felons and criminals. hehehehehe.

Guest Terry

Is there a storm coming? why are all the windows covered up across the street???  ;D

That's the county jail!  ;D j/k

LOL ;)

Contact your local friendly neighborhood window tinter.

He can show you the proper films to stop up to 80% of heat.

Plus there's a wide range of light to dark, reflective to nonreflective, and best of all window tint doesn't get banged around in the wind.

Contact your local friendly neighborhood window tinter.

He can show you the proper films to stop up to 80% of heat.

Plus there's a wide range of light to dark, reflective to nonreflective, and best of all window tint doesn't get banged around in the wind.

Great advice! A lot of homes here have their picture windows tinted. I was actually going to contact a local company that also does the security window lamination, since some of windows are a little too accessible for anyone wanting to get it - and it doesn't look we have stuff that people would want to steal by putting bars on the windows.

I hadn't even thought of the tint.  Didn't even know there was such a thing as security window lamination, guess I need to get away from the cutter more often!  B) 

I did find this link for DIY. http://www.diywindowsecurity.com/

Jenny

Thanks for the link! I know that I've seen that website before, but was racking my brains trying to figure out what words I used to search in Google for it. I wanted to watch the little DIY video to see how easy or difficult if I attempted it myself.

Stuff is a little pricey, but it's still cheaper (and a lot nicer) than bars on the window.