LostDatagram

Minimum text/feature size

My school is letting me use their vinyl cutter for a personal project. I've never used one before so not really sure what's doable.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the typeface I've selected for my design is just too thin to be practical. Most of it is around 1mm thick (see attached image of full-scale printout).

post-85235-0-68441700-1393623635_thumb.j

This is intended to be a square with holes in the vinyl where the text is, not the other way around (not sure of the correct terminology for that). To clarify, what I mean is, the attachment should look like the black vinyl was applied to a white surface.

I think the cutter should be able to do this, but I guess it might be hard to weed. I might have to cut quite a few of these, so if it's going to be particularly difficult, I'll change it. If it makes any difference, the cutter is a roland gx-24.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

David.

You will definitely need to use the slowest speed setting. If you find the machine does have trouble cutting that thin, you can keep the same font but thicken  up the text slightly  in your cutting software.

It's called a "reverse"  --  and yes, the Roland shouldn't have difficulty.

Brilliant, thanks.

You will definitely need to use the slowest speed setting. If you find the machine does have trouble cutting that thin, you can keep the same font but thicken up the text slightly in your cutting software.

Right, I see. 

I hadn't thought of thickening the text, other than using the font's bold variant (but that's a little too bold, looks a bit ugly). I'm sure I'll find a way to do it. Thanks

Also might need a 60 degree blade for cutting that small.

I used to think that but I'm not convinced anymore. I have a new cutter (Summa) and their regular blade is a 36 degree blade and it cuts smaller than anything I ever thought of with my other cutter so I don't know that the angle makes as much difference as I aways thought it did.