LLCE

LaserPoint Lock Up

Newbie here :)!

Question 1:  I can make a cut and then have to shut my machine down to re-set it so that it cuts again, otherwise it goes into a NOT RESPONDING mode. Reading the forums, it says to download a fix for the problem, but, in trying to do the download, when it asks for me to install, it looks like it wants to install signblazer again which I don't think can be done due to the activation code.

Question 2: How do I line up my vinyl ( or set my machine ) so that if I have a 3 inch piece of scrap vinyl  that I want to cut on, it cuts on the vinyl and doesn't go beyond the vinyl and starts cutting on the metal  ;)

Thanks for all your help!

:Welcome: to the forum.

1. I also could be your connection (i.e. USB vs. serial). It sound kind of stupid (I'm not calling you stupid, I'm calling the cutter behavior stupid) that it might cut, then not, but there have been several forum members that have run into cutting issues and have had them resolved by either making sure their USB connection is direct to the computer (and not going thru a hub), or completely changing it to a serial connection. If you don't have a serial port on your computer, you can buy a device called a keyspan (they sell them dirt cheap on eBay, and not-so-dirt-cheap at Radio Shack).

2. Tykite is right. Scoot the cutter head to where you want to start your cut, then use that point as your 0,0 position. If you're still running into issues and are using SignBlazer Elements, then you can either tweak your workspace size in the design screen or you can tweak the size of your vinyl in the cut screen ... or both. When you go from the design screen to the cut screen, it should show you the width of the vinyl it will be taking up during the cutting process.

I've been working with Ken to resolve a similar problem.  I would suggest getting in touch with him directly.  They are very eager to help their customers.

Thanks much for all the help.  I really do appreciate it.  Have to get this up and running.  Have a craft show next month.  Anyone know about copy right stuff with nascar.  Like if I cut out the number 88 and put Dale Earnhardt Jr, but add flames to the number, is that copy right infringement?  Thanks again.

You're wanting to use the same font and use DE,Jr.'s name too? Then yes, I would guess that probably would be copyright infringement. Don't quote me on that thought - I'm far from being any kind of authority on that.

Answer 1: The update uses the same interface as the install.  It is fine to run and install the update.

Answer 2: You put the vinyl and clamp down your pinch rollers, then you press Offline and move the vinyl to where you want and press Origin

Tykite,

I'm prolly blind again .. but where are the buttons marked "offline" and "origin" on the LP24? I have some buttons marked "on line", "test", "mode" and "pause", and then the buttons that raise the blade up and down, and the "+","-", and the direction buttons.

the offline button is also the online button.

as for 'origin', if you take the LP offline and move the carriage, then hit the online button without pressing the crosshair button, then the carriage will return to its point of origin.

Tykite,

OK, so your answer don't help us LP owners with the lock-up problem. At least I'm glad that I wasn't going blind and senile. Well, at least not .....

Haumana,

I've tried to figure my starting point, but everytime I get everything positioned, dial in my registration marks, then press the online the head heads someplace else and stops, never to return.

I solved the problem by aligning the substrate at that point. Then I can reset the registration and contour away. Prolly not the "real" way, but it works for me.

BTW .. the place that the head usually, almost always ends up stopping is just left of center facing the machine. As I am only doing 11x17 opaque shirt paper at present that gives me plenty of room.

to reset the point of origin, move the carriage and media to the place that you need it to be. while the cutter is "offline" hit the crosshair button located at the center of the 4-arrows. that will set where the carriage is to be 0,0 (x=0, y=0).

I'm not sure why your carriage ends up where it does. When my LP is done with a cut, it always goes back the the right side of the cutter (where I had designated the x=0 point to be).

How are you hooking up the cutter to your PC? If you think your cutter is doing something all on its own, it could be partly from communication issues. I use the USB and have had no problems since using the proper cutter driver (on the cut screen: PCut). Although many say that they have had to go to serial or to use a keyspan (Serial to USB adapter), and that's it helped to resolve all kids of issues.

I don't know if I've helped or just helped to confuse. Good luck, keep on posting until we get it right for you, and Ken is always available via PM. The LP is a (relatively) new cutter line form US Cutters, so the support specific to LP is a bit limited, however, there are some issues that can be helped with the same advice.

I probably don't have the point of origin set correctly.

You are right about Ken, I can't sing the praises loud enough that I have for US Cutter and Ken. They have their act together big time.

Are you doing any contour work with your LP? I tried my first one today, it cut off, but the laser light was dead on some very small regiustration marks that I used a loop to see/line up. You can take a peak at it here:

http://www.fivesixdesign.com/hvcontourtest1.html

I had just plotted a template, trying to gauge my parameters and forgot to reset the blade offset from the pen (0.0) but, I don't think that would have caused the outcome I got. It's the first attempt, so I'm not too worried, but if I can trim out some learning curve I'd sure like to.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

I wish I could say that I've used the contour feature on the LP, but so far I've only did regular cutting. Althought I'm glad that a lot of you guys are contour cutting ... so when I'm ready to jump into the fire, there will be a wealth of experience that I can reference through the forum banana.gif

Hope that when you are ready to contour cut I can help out as much as you've helped me and others out.

I've been on a load of boards over the years, and this is by far the best group of folks. I guess that it is because it is not "broad", ie: dealing with all cutters, but defined to the US Cutters, that means we all have a more than common interest in success.

I just did my first contour cut Thursday, Here is my list of things to remember:

1. Make sure the paper is PERFECTLY straight.

if it is, after you align your first mark and head towards your second, it should line up perfectly when you jog your cutter to the left, you should NOT have to move the vinyl up or down, if you have to that means your vinyl is not straight.

2. align the mark in the DEAD center of the alignment mark.

If you dont your cut will be off.

My success so far is pretty good my stickers came off pretty staight

HTH,

Wayne

I just did my first contour cut Thursday, Here is my list of things to remember:

1. Make sure the paper is PERFECTLY straight.

if it is, after you align your first mark and head towards your second, it should line up perfectly when you jog your cutter to the left, you should NOT have to move the vinyl up or down, if you have to that means your vinyl is not straight.

2. align the mark in the DEAD center of the alignment mark.

If you dont your cut will be off.

My success so far is pretty good my stickers came off pretty staight

HTH,

Wayne

:thumbsup:

Wayne,

Are you using SBE or SC to do your contour cutting? I have been using signcut.

Bob

Wayne,

What steps are you using? Eric has said that the objects must be printed thru SBE in order to get it to perform the cutting. IS this the same for you, or are you doing something different?

I imported sceral different versions of the same design today and had many problems, none that worked. I could not get it to cut at all, further if I printed it thru SBE it butchered my artwork.

Can you put your steps down in order such that an old man with CRS might be able to follow it?

I am very frustrated, and my patience is about gone. I know that I could have bought a regular old cutter and made myself an alignment laser and done better than I am doing now.

Thanks for any help.

Bob